1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shame on Apple

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandylifeboats, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

Sorry if this has been discussed before - the word Apple turned up so many times in the search that I gave up - but I'm furious that a private firm's policy should over-ride a matter of national security. Surely they should be forced to unlock the terrorist's phone? I don't suppose there's a law the FBI can bring to bear yet, but I hope they come up with one. Maybe they could start with "assisting a terrorist" and "obstructing the course of justice".
    I'm imagining myself in the position of the bereaved. I don't own any Apple devices anyway but I certainly won't be buying any in the future.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

T0nyGT and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The whole story is a fabricated piece of nonsense. It is extremely unlikely that the FBI has not been able to break into Apple's encryption technology, or that of any other phone company for that matter. What has mattered in this case is that the phone may be the prima facie evidence in a court of law and the FBI cannot just admit that it is routinely breaking and reading encrypted phones, hence an official request to Apple for the encryption key and the charade of coincidentally just managing to break it themselves - and so impressively soon after Apple refused!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Civil liberties my nether regions, it's a commercial decision by Apple in case people stay away from their products. Like any big business gives even the tiniest toss about anything that doesn't improve the bottom line and that might hurt them.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

They seem to have bypassed the security now anyway. Now Apple expect to be told how they did it.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Lots of people seem to have swallowed the US governments spiel about fighting the terrorists. I'm pretty sure the FBI (probably spurred on by the NSA) saw this as an excellent opportunity to get a back door in to one of the most popular data devices on the planet. Apple were right to refuse the order. Remember, they weren't being asked to unlock an iPhone (impossible) they were being asked to create a piece of software that circumvented the security systems of all iPhones on the planet. The FBI were asking Apple to break promises they'd made to their customer base regarding security

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't think they could crack it. Cracking AES 256 (particularly with the way thr hardware reacts to this in iPhones) is a mammoth task

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I concur
    Yes I am old Tony but I have a pretty good grasp of how this modern techno-wizardry works. (I can even create memes :p)

It isn't impossible for them but the effort required my exceed even their much vaunted capabilities (and even their budget) :cool:

And of course it is a business decision primarily. For once though a business decision has coincided with an ethical principle.
    It's quite rare

9. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

I do not "fail" to understand. I understand and disagree with you (and whatever you parroted from the Guardian).
    Unless the FBI is lying, the way to crack it has already been created.