1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shall I accept the offer?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by b7031475, Mar 5, 2020.

1. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Hi guys,

This is my first post in here and I have been looking for a job in Cairo for a while! I have received an offer from a school which is not my dream school but the advantage is that they are offering me 3 free places for my children. I am not sure about accepting the offer but at the meantime, having 3 dependants makes you unpopular and it's too difficult to get shortlisted.

Also, I have been informed from my referees that they have been contacted 2 days ago and another school asked them to provide them with some reference. But I didn't hear back from them! I am wondering why?

What do you think? Shall I accept the offer I have or wait and see? And how long can I wait before replying to the offer?

Thanks in advance

2. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

How many free child places do other Cairo schools offer?

If only two, what is the cost for the third?

Will you all get annual flights?

Are you able to find out how the offer you hold compares to other schools packages?

There maybe some current Cairo teachers who will be along to assist via pm soon.

Are you a couple?
    If yes, will one or both of you work?

Is the overall package enough?

Have you made an approach to the school that took up references to see where they are in the process and if you're still being considered?

Are there delays due to holidays or virus shutdown?

How long have the school given you to respond to their offer?

Have they sent a contract, or just an offer letter with key package details?

Many teachers accept "subject to contract" to give wiggle room, if the full contract is not as promised.

Any ideas about the working conditions, accommodation, location etc?

Are they suitable for you and your family?

3. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

thank you for your reply. That’s very informative. They are offering a good package but it’s definitely not enough in its own as my husband need to work too to be able to cope. I don’t have any ideas about other schools. They also offered annual flight for the whole family.

Do u think it’s a good idea to chase the other school up or ring and check?

They didn’t mention anything about when they’re expecting me to respond.

They didn’t send a contract yet it’s just an offer.

They are offering a poor accommodation allowance.

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@b7031475

All depends if you can financially afford to roll the dice to be honest.

As you said, you have 3 dependants... You're the only one who knows all the variables.

Personally, my husband and I have always chosen the type of education the school can offer the kids. A few years ago we said "No" to a school with free school placing offer and held out for our preferred school that came with paying 50% school fees for our third child.

b7031475 likes this.
  5. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Do u mind to PM me please?

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Check *** before accepting any offer from Cairo

7. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Three kids and you want to drag them to Cairo. Have you ever visited or stayed in Cairo?

Can be a bit of an eye opener, and I'be been around the Middle East and East Asia.

towncryer likes this.
  8. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Why do you want to move to Cairo? Dirty streets, pollution, cost of living increasing, not that many good schools, will your school even give you a working visa or are they expecting you, like many schools in Egypt, to work illegally on a visit visa?

MayaJones likes this.
  9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Sent

10. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Do I have to pay for it?

11. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I have lived in Egypt with my family for 5 years when I was young and I completely appreciate where you’re coming from! Thank you for highlighting that. I am bilingual and I would like my children to be the same. I am trying to give them the same opportunity and experience that I had so then they’ll have the choice.

frogusmaximus likes this.
  12. 24hours

24hours New commenter

It’s about £25 if I recall.

Considerably cheaper than flying your family back mid flight because you’ve accepted a position without researching it thoroughly

towncryer and b7031475 like this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Yes and it is worth every penny.

Really, you should see some of the reviews of Cairo schools. Stomach churning.

towncryer and abikuwait like this.
  14. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I wouldn't put my kids in an Egyptian school unless it was in the top 5 schools. I have come to this conclusion by putting one of my kids in an Egyptian school not in the top 5. Eventually she thrived, but the first year was rough. Her father, on the hand (that would be me), was on the verge of a nervous breakdown at several points. A very tough three years that I wouldn't want to repeat.

15. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

How do I know the top 5 schools?

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

We usuallyhave to pay for things in this life.

17. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Is it ***?

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The *** is not really expensive, if it saves you from finding yourself in a really, really bad school. Okay, yes, some of the reviews are a bit outdated and hysterical.

19. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Thank you! Will sign up for it.

20. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Ignore ***. It's full of negative comments from disgruntled sacked teachers.

dumbbells66 likes this.