1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare Workshop

Discussion in 'English' started by Easyshake, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone, A colleague and I are developing a set of Shakespeare Workshops in affiliation with the RSC. I am currently carrying out market research to ascertain a list of key texts that as a teacher of Drama or English you feel your students would benefit from engaging with. Our aim is to bring Shakespeare to life from the page, inspiring students of all abilities to apply the tools learnt in the workshop to the plays they are studying. Interactive activities allow pupils to pick apart characters' thoughts and feelings, Shakespearean rhetorical devices and in depth character work whilst referring to the wider context of the play. The pupils also get the opportunity to act and direct scenes guided by the Education Director and, as a result of this, each workshop is totally unique, driven by some insightful and occasionally unpredictable pupil-led responses. We are developing three workshops; GCSE, A-Level, and Undergraduate. Any assistance would be really appreciated. Many thanks

2. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

There are a variety of GCSE Shakespeare texts taught in our department, depending on which classes we have and teacher prefernce. The common ones are:
    Romeo and Juliet
    The Merchant of Venice
    The Taming of the Shrew
    Much Ado About Nothing

We also have lots of copies of Macbeth in the cupboard, but I don't think anyone has used them in the past couple of years, but know it is popular in lots of schools!

3. i teach a-level literature and the key focus of the assessment objectives are contexts - literary/dramatic/biographical/historical/biographical/ideological etc, and critical views and interpretations.
    there are no set texts for the exam board i use, we can choose our own, and we have to compare/contrast two plays. we tend to change the texts we use each year to avoid becoming stale.

something that brings shakespeare's life and elizabethan / jacobean england alive for the students would be fab. they know nothing by the time they get to a-level!!!

4. i also already have masses of material - powerpoints etc - which focus on the contextual / background issues ... elizabeth i, the role of women, the renaissance etc if you are interested.