1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare schools festival

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by rentonave, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi - has anybody done the teachers workshop for SSF
    We have a prior training at school and don't think I can go - just wondering how valuable it is I don't want to miss anything really useful
    thanks in advance

2. My colleague attended and said it was a really useful. I imagine it is much better than 'prior training', whatever that is.

3. I went about 4/5 years ago and it was extremely useful. I used a lot of the activities I learned for other classes as well. I'd say if you can attend then I would highly recommend it.

4. I went last year, and three years ago, and I learnt something new each time. I'm heading to the one in Leeds on Friday and really looking forward to some new ideas....

5. thanks for all your replies
    Really want to go now! Cheers

6. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

On the subject of SSF, I am taking over responsibility for this at the last minute due to the previous teacher-director leaving. I have been browsing the website and am a bit concerned that the advice is to start rehearsing now. We have to - for logistical reasons - only use Years 7 and 8 for the performance but obviously we won't get our intake of Year 7s till September! Do other schools just not use Year 7s, or do people wait till September to start rehearsals?

7. We did it with Y10 into 11 when we took part but I shouldn't think it would matter. Perhaps you could use Y8 in the larger roles and start with them now?

8. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Thanks. We will only have 2 weeks left of term after I've been on the training day next week so it doesn't leave much time.
    I wondered how others are managing it this year because they seem to have reduced the age to an upper limit of 13 which really is just years 7 and 8, with the possiblity of some year 9s.

9. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I directed last year and started rehearsals second week back after summer. We performed in November. It was a push, but I don't think it made much difference! In my experience they tend to forget most direction over the summer anyway!

10. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Just got back from my workshop in London and I am buzzing with ideas. It was an amazing day and I'm very excited about it all now :)

11. SSF haven't changed the age limits. The limit is YEAR 13 not age 13. The London rep sent out an email clarifying this so it seems like a lot of people have interpreted this wrong.