1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare in Love

Discussion in 'English' started by irishfellow12, Aug 29, 2012.

1. I was reading online and saw that one teacher used 'Shakespeare in Love' to teach the social, historical and cultural context (AO3) I was a little apprehensive about doing it myself because 1) it is a 15. 2) It contains sex scenes. Do you think that it would be suitable to let my Year 10 class watch?

This might sound like a stupid question, thank you anyway!

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Watch it yourself and work out where the sex scenes are - skip them.
    It's what I do with Titanic [​IMG]

3. Thank you Joananna! Do you think I should send a letter home?

4. I've seen it used for this purpose- select scenes were shown, not the whole thing. Why waste a lesson or two showing the film for this purpose? Identify your scenes and just show them.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

No. Use your professional judgment and don't make a big deal out of it in class :)

6. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I wouldn't use it at all. A lot of the context is just plain wrong.

7. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I've used it for this purpose - but only to give students a 'feel' for what it might have been like to be in the theatre - don't show them the whole film - just the important bits.

8. Which bits did you show?

Thanks

9. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Sorry to butt in but i would not use the whole thing either; there really is not enough time and, as some have already said it is not always accurate.
    I do the 'Opening Night' scene towards the end; it has some good street scenes, a good mixed crowd (plenty of ruffians and ladies of the night) and the Prologue is delivered by (sorry forgotten his name).
    I would perhaps give them a group topic (audience, location, theatre, actors....) and get them to focus on exploring that before feeding back what they have learned. Just thinking aloud.
    Also in my school, SLT would chop off my legs [​IMG] if I did.
    Liz

10. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

The above mentioned bit and I think it's towards the end the bit where they are all piling into the theatre to watch.

I agree with the idea of having group topics and using this to encourage feedback!

11. Thank you both very very much!

12. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Have you considered using ' Anonymous' ?