1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare in context

Discussion in 'English' started by Azael, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Xenophobia? In reference to Catholicism (R&J) and Ethnicity & Religion & Geography (Othello).

2. sianna

sianna New commenter

The generic features of tragedy, history, comedy, morality plays ...
    I've already produced loads of ppts focussing on most of Shakespeare's contexts if you are interested - you could adapt them and make them even more brilliant!

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

The Elizabethean world-picture of the chain of being / god-given hierarchies (which Macbeth disrupts and Shakespeare often refers to in the play and which the witches have no part in, hence their position outside of what is right and proper...) Thank you for doing these - looking forward to seeing the ppts (BTW, we are considering Othello for GCSE next year, as it is coming off our A level Lit syllabus when Tragedy become Comedy. Quite a play to tackle at GCSE though...?)

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

One of my colleagues teaches 'Othello' to top set GCSE classes. Personally I wouldn't touch it, or 'Hamlet' below A2, but each to their own.