1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare-how significant?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by thinkinglady, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Do you think more of Shakespeare should be taught in the schools? One whole play for example, in Year 9, another in Years 10 and 11? I strongly feel the GCSE students should read a whole play and learn to love the Bard--what do other teachers think?

2. I love Shakespeare and love teaching the plays to my students but I have to say I have never (in 10/11 years) read an entire play with them. I don't think it's necessary and whilst there are lots of thrilling parts there are some dull scenes. I don't teach A level mind and I know I would be expected to teach the whole play here. In year 7 I do an intro to Shaky where I use the most well known scenes from a selection of plays and by teaching in a practical approach the kids access the language and imagery/themes quite easily. I always do something like "Dream" in year 8 and in year 9 and 10 we are obviously on the Sats (tho not now)and GCSE rollercoaster.