1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare for Year 9...

Discussion in 'English' started by merryal, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Please help a poor, clueless PGCE student out! I'm teaching middle set Year 9 a Shakespeare play next term. The cupboard has yielded Twelfth Night and Much Ado. Which do you think is best? I like TN more myself, but there seem to be a lot more resources (both at school and online) for Much Ado, plus I'm worried about how maturely my (quite silly class) would handle TN...kinda dreading explaining what a eunuch is....but then again Much Ado might be a bit dull for them (apart from the Beatrice and Benedick bits)

Any opinions would be welcome! Thanks!

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Teach what you like.
    Does the school really only have 2 Shakespeare texts?

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"Eunuch"? Why not?

eunuch = massive vassal with a passive tassel! Joke! You wouldn't say that to them, of course! However, Year 9s, silly as they can be do appreciate sometimes being spoken to a if they're on the mature side.

4. They've already done Midsummer's Night, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth are reserved for GCSE and Merchant of Venice is rubbish.

5. gruoch

THUD
    How long have you got for me to persuade you that it's not?

6. I agree with you Grouch. My eyes are popping out like a cartoon's.

7. While it's not a text I would choose to teach to younger classes, rubbish seems a bit harsh. Do the text you know best and which fits the tasks and outcomes you need the class to complete.

8. gruoch

Well, quite.

9. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

I taught it to year 7 and it was terrific! They really enjoyed it and we did masses of interesting work about racism and prejudice

10. Haha, ok, rubbish is harsh! But I would assume it's way too tricky for slightly immature KS3 classes? Or not?

11. gruoch

I think it is. But then, I think Shakespeare is tricky for most kids, quite honestly. My Yr 7s have 'done' 'Macbeth' at junior school.
    And 'Hamlet'.
    Yeah.
    Right.

12. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I think it depends on the teaching of it. If they're immature as the classes I teach which are immature, it might be quite good for them - look at all the racist language used against Shylock and examine how it makes him behave in the way he does. Relate it to modern life.