1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare - different plays for different age ranges and abilities?

Discussion in 'English' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi all I'm just doing some research for my PGCE interview! I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on picking different Shakespeare plays for different year groups and abilities. For example, are there plays that are more accessible? Would you perhaps pick a shorter play for lower ability and lower age group? I noticed that Macbeth was the year 9 choice at my school and Merchant of Venice and Romeo and Juliet were the choices in year 10, but I couldn't have imagined ever studying King Lear or Hamlet at this stage. Are English teachers told which plays they have to teach or do they get to pick and why do you pick the ones you do if you have a choice? Are there some plays that you would want to avoid depending on the age/ability of the class? Opinions will be very appreciated!

2. Hi all I'm just doing some research for my PGCE interview! I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on picking different Shakespeare plays for different year groups and abilities. For example, are there plays that are more accessible? Would you perhaps pick a shorter play for lower ability and lower age group? I noticed that Macbeth was the year 9 choice at my school and Merchant of Venice and Romeo and Juliet were the choices in year 10, but I couldn't have imagined ever studying King Lear or Hamlet at this stage. Are English teachers told which plays they have to teach or do they get to pick and why do you pick the ones you do if you have a choice? Are there some plays that you would want to avoid depending on the age/ability of the class? Opinions will be very appreciated!

3. Schools and exam boards will have set texts for different age groups. Where I have freedom to choose I look at themes rather than length (although that can be a factor). Lear's motives are hard for a teenager to comprehend but Macbeth's ambition fairly easily understood. I also think about what I want the pupils to learn and what the assessed pieces will be because some plays lend themselves to analysis of a theme, some character and some individual language techniques.