1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shaken up and on own... creepy man at launderette!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catherinaaa, Jan 6, 2012.

1. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Forgive me for posting but I am feeling a bit out of sorts. I was at the launderette this afternoon as had a massive load of washing and needed to use the dryer, no way can do it in my little flat. 10 min or so before I left, this rather greasy looking man comes in and starts chatting to me.
    He was asking me about where I am from (am British but live abroad) and being quite over familiar in his manner, teling me about his ex wife and how young she still looks, but he was trying to flirt with me and I did not like it. He was asking me about my husband & children ( I at no point indicated I had a husband or kids and think he was tyring to check if I was "available".). He was drunk and smelt terrible and was about 30 yrs older than me. He started smoking as well though it was a non-smoking place . He kept using really crude language as well.
    He then tried to take my bag of clean washing off of me and take it home saying it was too heavy for me, and I said that I could manage alone. I then went as fast as I could to the train station and he continued to follow me and call out, "What have I done? Please stay! This is the best launderette in *******" He followed me down to the platform and started yelling.
    I of course got home fine, but am very shaken up and am feeling very jittery. My partner is out for the eve and I can't get hold of him and don't know what to do, am very upset. Sorry for long post, just needed some sympathy I think.

2. poor you
    This is not an overreaction but I suggest reporting to local police so at least they have his details on record. He sounds dodgy and there is always the possibilty he may harm someone. He may not but better safe than sorry.

3. Hey, Schnuckel, if you need an ear, let me know.
    xxx

4. catherinaaa

I am in tears now. I got through to my boyfriend and he said to wait until morning and to explain it all to him first, and that the police won't be able to do anything as the man didn't actually do anything wrong.

5. I had an unpleasant experience in a laundrette with a very similar individual some years ago. I think they're attracted to laundrettes because there's the chance of seeing women's underwear.
    When I indicated the laundrette was non-smoking, he got up and ****** in front of me. I can understand you're shaken up but I doubt that any more will come of it. I would suggest going to a different laundrette from now on. That's what I did.

6. Men can sometimes be a bit rubbish at realising how intimidated we can feel at things like this. I would ring your local police station (not 999) and just let them know. It means they have a record of it - maybe he's making lots of people feel uncomfortable, they might know who he is and go round to warn him. I was assaulted on a crowded train once and regret hugely not telling the police - the man only did a bit more than your laundrette creep did but it upset me for weeks / months.

7. I think some are not aware where the OP is...
    No, the Polizei cannot do much - he was creepy but he didn't nothing against the law.
    But you can still ring. It can still be logged. And you can ring the Caritas or similar if you are alone xxx

8. Last year I had a couple of men follow me down the street being rather sexist and saying crude things. I couldn't put my finger on it but they seemed really sinister and capable of being rapists. I emailed the Police as soon as I got home as although I felt a bit silly for making a fuss I was hopeful that if they did go onto rape someone then maybe my description could help the Police to catch them. The Police called me back as soon as I'd sent the email and seemed really concerned and stated that what I was reporting was really serious. You should definatley report this to the Police tonight as the decsription will be clearer in your memory. Your right to make a fuss and I'm disappointed in your bf for not taking the matter more seriously and rushing home to comfort you. The launderette man harrased you, he was completely inappropriate and he definatley deserves a speaking to by the Police. No-one has the right to follow you down the street making you feel threatened and uncomfortable

9. catherinaaa

I am in Germany. Have no idea who I am meant to call.

10. You can log with the local Revier.

11. catherinaaa

I can't find anything about a Revier. Do I contact the Polizeipräsidium?

12. catherinaaa

I am feeling much happier today, thanks for all the messages. Have talked it through with my boyfriend. Stuff like this used to happen when I lived in London and Birmingham quite a lot. Now, in the city I live in, there is a very low crime rate and this is the first time something like this has happened to me over here, which was probably why I was so shaken and upset.

13. I was referring to the OP's boyfriend not the creepy man.