1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seychelles

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SkyRyder, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Anybody have any info on life in the Seychelles? The salary offered seems quite low. Is it easy enough to live off the money you get? And what's the situation really like with regards to forex? Thanks in advance.

2. Salary is low and cost of living is high, I am desperate to work overseas, but not that desperate.

Forex problems could work in your favour if you are bringing money with you or if you have income from the UK while you are out there

Official rate is 16 to the pound but I have heard you can get up to 30 to the pound on the black market, shows how difficult it is to get money out.

Most of the above has been gleamed from the net or by word of mouth, but I do believe it is accurate

3. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Went on holiday, beautiful place but wonder if after a few months you would start to feel very isolated. The local shops have a ready supply of cheap beer and fish market was well stocked. Other products were on very limited supply.

4. I am afraid I have to agree with you based on a friend's of mine latest experinece. VERY expensive to live in the Seychelles. There are better jobs in equally lovelly places (I was told by my mate).