1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sexting - why is it for schools to sort out?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by pixiewixiepixie, Mar 22, 2016.

1. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

This from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35858169

What is fascinating is the complete lack of a mention of parents. I can't believe how totally STUPID many parents are; giving their children a smartphone with camera and video capabilities is asking for trouble. Letting their children take their phones to school is asking for trouble. Letting their children have laptops, computers, tablets, phones with filming capabilities into their bedrooms is asking for trouble.

This is NOT something for schools to address, primarily. Parents create this problem, and then expect teachers (yet again) to reign in the excesses that result from their STUPID decisions.

Middlemarch and needabreak like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think any good school PSHE curriculum would include internet safety, and warnings about 'sexting' should be part of that. If it can be proved to be happening within the school, during school time, then, yes, the school should act.

Otherwise, and most of the time, I guess, it is up to the parents to protect their children from this.

needabreak and delnon like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sometimes it is difficult for parents to warn their children. Schools can have a responsibility to ensure children know of the dangers.
    In addition, I would guess a fair number of these messages circulate between pupils at schools and come to light in schools.
    I do agree that the primary responsibility is parental. However in these days of "everyone else really does have one" technology, the Pandora's box has been well and truly opened.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This is one genie we're never going to get back into the bottle.

Our school advises parents to equip their children with a basic phone for emergency use. One student bought an expensive phone into school which got nicked and now the parents wants us to waste time investigating and question a whole year group!

5. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

Had a situation in my workplace some months ago: kids cyberbullying on un-socialmedia. Loads of SLT time was spent trying to deal with it, ended up with a Police visit (at what cost to them - time and money?) not to mention the reputation of the school.

Thing is, it is a Primary School and those social media services require a minimum age of 13, to join them.

My argument was very simple: unless they had joined those services in school & sent the messages in school (which they had not) unless they had received the messages in school (which they had not), IT IS NOT A SCHOOL MATTER.

End of story.

Why do schools have to deal with this sh*t?

6. drek

drek Star commenter

Clearly those parents who can afford to give their child a very expensive phone are getting one too many child credits or need to pay more tax! Particularly if they want a state funded school to then oversee its security and safe use!

needabreak likes this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We've had some serious issues with bullying on social media - it is the parents' responsibility, but we have to deal with the repercussions within the school day - they are not allowed to have phones on during the school day and if caught, a detention and confiscation of said phone.

delnon and needabreak like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Clearly another case of failure in society of the family and parenting that has become the domain of the State.

Pretty soon we may as well just take babies away from the incapable parents at birth and adopt them into a 24hr 365 day a week super school! *Oops what have I said .... it used to be called wrap around care and is likely the next flavour of the month :eek:

9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Lebensborn.

10. needabreak

Eeeek!

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

why would a school advise that a child should have a phone, basic or otherwise? We all know, I hope, that a child with a phone is more likely to be mugged, than one without! How did we ever survive in the days before mobiles, or in fact, in the days before we even had a phone at home!

12. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"What is fascinating is the complete lack of a mention of parents. I can't believe how totally STUPID many parents are; ...."

Me, I have no problem in believing how stupid many (most?) parents are.

I just look at the political parties and the education policies (sic) which same parties and the parents in question propound/ vote for.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Perhaps because, otherwise, they know that parents will supply expensive mobiles which are more likely to be stolen, either at school or on the way to & from school.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I've heard that some parents are so totally STUPID that they even let their children walk in the street, catch buses, watch tv, own cameras, answer the phone and interact with other people. It's all just asking for trouble!

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Exactly what I used to say during the total ban I instigated on phones at my last school. And because we had a total ban, the notion that we'd have to investigate if one got stolen was a complete non-starter.

hammie, George_Randle and wanet like this.
  16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I remember having a conversation with a student after removing his phone. He needed it for emergencies for contact with home. at that very moment a note arrived from the office from his dad. Made my point for me.

hammie likes this.
  17. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

All phones should be switched off when a child enters school, in their bag and hidden from view, and then switched back on again only when they leave. SLTs are too tolerant and gutless in enforcing this and supporting teachers strictly i.e. by a) confiscating phones if seen ever and b) insisting that parents come in and collect them. If they did this without exception for a few weeks, the message would be driven home and the problem would go away in an instant. Phones are really dragging the education of many students down. Many students really are addicted, have little self control so cannot self-regulate their behaviour and use, cannot work without constantly checking for messages and seeing if there is something they need to know about, and cannot work without faffing about with music programs.

Sexting is 110% the parents' problem. If they give their hormonal teenagers and pre teenagers devices that can transmit video and pictures in an instant, what the f*** do they expect to happen!!!!! I'm happy to teach about sexting as part of a block of work on children keeping themselves safe. But the majority of responsibility is with totally irresponsible parents. They'll be giving their children knives and knuckledusters next just in case they are attacked, and expecting us to teach self-restraint!

18. needabreak

It isn't the technology itself which is the problem it is the appropriate use thereof, I would say a hormonal teenager can cause as many problems with a pencil as a mobile phone *devious little devils some can be... so the emphasis must be on parents (speaking as one) to set and help reinforce the acceptable parameters of use of technology or anything else they allow their child access to, until such time as their little darlings are capable of making sensible decisions for themselves. For example I wouldn't have let the little NAB's out on their bikes on their own without instilling some type of guidance as to road safety.

If we keep insisting schools take on these roles what then becomes the role of the parent and how are these young people to understand their roles as parents later on?

On the other hand if schools are to cover such guidance as a matter or course and it is truly a valuable part of the education system in forming well rounded (*not rotund) individuals why isn't there a time allocation and value placed on it within the curriculum? I would go on to ask why only emphasise academic achievement and not social skills? o_O