1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sex selection

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by hhhh, Jan 22, 2012.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Don’t know if this is true, but apparently an ex colleague
    is planning to go to America to have IVF to choose the sex of her baby!
    Personally I can think of not much worse, but it’s her life… anyway, I remember
    a mw telling me she could guess what the sex of a baby was likely to be if she
    knew key details. And there was a doctor who said having sex at certain
    times/eating certain things would give you the ‘right’ sex. Anyone got any
    weird and wonderful stories, or any they think work? The best one I heard was
    that female orgasms lead to more boys being born, surely that would mean that
    in the past when women just had to lie back and think of blighty, then nearly
    everyone should have had a girl?!

2. My mum and two aunties all have a boy and a girl by using the 'ladies first' principle - girls conceive in first half of cycle, boys second. When I've lookedinto this there seems to be little evidence to back it up..

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

There is an argument that says a high dairy diet results in more girls, whereas a high meat diet equals more boys. (think that's right!) However, from what I've read, both affect the acidity of cm in different ways - hence the difference - but the wrong ph can also equal 'no baby', so who knows!

4. The one which I'd heard was that boy sperm were faster but less resilient so if you planned things so the advance swim squad arrived at the same time as the egg - more likely to get a boy, girl sperm were slightly slower but stuck around longer, so you wanted the second-string team to meet the egg basically for a girl.
    Personally - just glad for what we've got to be honest - but long-term fertility problems tend to colour your views on that a bit!

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Totally agree, can't believe people spend the money and take the challenges, I've had friends who've had IVF so I know it's not a walk in the park, as I say don't really know the woman in a personal way, but surprises me anyone would be so set on a particular sex to do it. Oh well. My boy loves pinkand dresses and my girl only plays with cars so who am I to say?!

6. I have a girl and a unknown bump. Would be quite cool having a family of 2 and 2 but if we end up 3 and 1 then great! I can't relate to the urge to select sex.
    hhhhh following your post about boys and girls and pink and cars... did you see the news this morning?

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Being honest I never tried to get them to play with any specific toy. And have to admit the boy fits the stereotype of being more clingy to mummy...but dunno. A historian colleague said TRaditionally in UK pink was boys colour as being near red, pale blue was seen as girly.
    But then personally I would prefer that people select a sex than abort the 'wrong' sex. Not judging other people, but I really don't think I could do that. And yes, I know it's easy for me to say as I've never felt like that or been in thetat position, I do have one of each which I'm happy about but would never have sex selected, or even dreamt of aborting the 'wrong' one.