1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sex Education within Primary Schools

Discussion in 'Primary' started by matildaemily, Apr 26, 2017.

1. matildaemily

matildaemily New commenter

Hello!

I'm looking to interview two upper KS2 teachers about their school's sex education programme (or lack of), and what their views are on it.

I am doing my final dissertation, and am needing responses by Friday.

If you are happy to help then email here: matildastreet@hotmail.co.uk, and I can either get in contact by mobile/skype or you can email me your responses. This can take anywhere between 10 or 20 minutes, depending on how much time you have!

I would really REALLY appreciate your help.

Thank you so much,

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I am not quite sure why you have placed your request in Education News, matildaemily. Sex education for primary children should hardly be news nowadays.

Teaching science to 5 to 13 year-old children in the 1980's, by the time they left me we had covered pretty well everything. Growth and development for boys and girls through puberty (the classes were mixed sex so they all got the same information together), live birth on film (BBC Schools TV programmes were very good), contraception, masturbation, homosexuality and personal relationships were all included, and discussions about the ages of younger children as to when they should hear about these things.

If this is what we were doing in 1980, surely primary sex education is not news now. BTW, most parents thanked me for my lessons, only one or two so-called religious ones complained, but the HT shut them up.

Pomz and Anonymity like this.