1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sex Education Resources for Key Stage 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 12rowntree, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I am the PSHCE Co-Ordinator at a large Junior school. I am responsible for Sex Education in the school and we currently use the Channel 4 Living and Growing DVDs in Years 3, 4 and 5 plus different resources in year 6.
    Last year we received a lot of opposition from parents about the content of the DVDs and therefore the Head Teacher and I are trying to find any alternatives that other schools may use. I am not sure if there are other materials as I have been teaching for 12 years and every school I have taught in has used these resources.
    I am keen to hear from anyone who can recommend any alternative resources that they use in their schools.
    Many thanks.

2. We switched last year to the BBC Active Sex and relationships programme. Lots of short clips but most pretty explicit - Not sure you would get less resistance!
    We invited parents in to see the clips before showing - out of 60 only 1 came and didn't object in end - think she was embarassed being only one there!
    We did mixed class approach too last year which worked really well - much more sensible and less giggling/whispering in corners which was surprising, but good. Will be doing the same this year.
    PM

3. Many thanks PM I will look in to those resources. We always invite parents in and these events are usually very well attended however, the parents look at the content through adult eyes not children's eyes which is what leads to the resistance!
    Many thanks again

4. We use Living and Growing too, but don't show all the videos. We also show most of the DVDs deemed age appropriate, to the year above. We invite parents in every year and let them have a look at the paper resources we could use. We don't show the whole DVD - only clips from them.
    We have had little resistance once the parents have been in, and no parent has withdrawn their child. Our governors actually pushed for earlier and more content. It was the staff who resisted this!
    What exactly are the parents objecting to? Have their comments been adequately addressed? Has the school taken account of parental wishes and made changes accordingly? Have you reminded parents of their right to withdraw their child from such lessons?