1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sex education dvd

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by juliedelaney, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I've been teaching year 6 for many years now and we've used the same, vey old BBC sex education video from the 80s, as it shows the children the basic information in a very child friendly way.
    We've looked into other dvds but haven't found anything as good, I was just wondering what programmes other schools use?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. I've been teaching year 6 for many years now and we've used the same, vey old BBC sex education video from the 80s, as it shows the children the basic information in a very child friendly way.
    We've looked into other dvds but haven't found anything as good, I was just wondering what programmes other schools use?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

3. It so annoys me that people feel hamstrung like that - as if teenagers need encouraging! (I don't blame her, obv). What they do need is guidance towards becoming stable, complete adults, and for the majority, sex is a part of that - so they need to know how to go about it without endangering themselves or others physically or emotionally; end of rant.

4. Sorry, missed the bit where that wasn't just an anecdote! She could set up a microsite with a different style and homepage which she links to ("advice for the inexperienced") which answers the FAQs and gives advice with disclaimers at the top of the page and peppered through ("remember: sex under eighteen is illegal in your state"), a page giving the various age-of-consent and similar laws in the various jurisdictions, and a page for "concerned parents" explaining that, while she doesn't want to encourage anyone to have sex, it's not something she can control from the other side of the computer screen - it's a decision they're going to make for themselves. All she can do is try to help them to make the right choice (morally and personally) and, if they decide to go ahead, at least try to ensure that they do so in a way that they won't hurt themself - or others.

Of course, this being the US (location: planet earth), she'll likely still get complaints up the yazoo, but this should reduce the number, mitigate the intesity, and reduce the chances of them gaining mainstream legitimacy.

5. Hi there
    We have a similar problem in our Y5/6 classes with very antiquated videos! Ive been on the PSHE CPD training program and asked for advice there and i was directed towards Channel 4's Living and Growing DVDs which we are going to try out next year. They are pretty up to date and go from reception to Year 6 so it means a whole school appraoch to SRE including family and friendships.
    Might be worth checking out?
    Good luck!

6. I've used the Living and Growing DVD today (you can buy it as a pack with worksheets/lesson ideas). I used it with Yr 5 but the same program was also shown to yr 6. Well recvd by both audiences and all staff think it's better than the dodgy 80's one we used to have!
    Hope this helps,
    S.

7. Teachers TV now has both Living and Growing (primary) and A to Z of love and sex (secondary) free to download. A to Z covers the sorts of things about pleasure ect previous poster mentioned.