1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sewing Club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fabricate_gifts, Jan 15, 2011.

1. We recently ran a staff relaxation day recently - including a sewing workshop where staff made felt christmas decorations. It wasn't for everyone! But lots of people seemed to enjoy them and they took pride of place on a lot of christmas trees over the holidays.
    I am looking to start a sewing club at lunchtimes next week. I was pleased at the interest from the boys in my class when I asked who was interested. We made felt bunting last term and they loved this.
    Does anyone have any simple ideas of things we could make to decorate the school. Possible projects that the children could all contribute to and maybe be framed?
    I have also been developing and making sewing kits to sell cheaply at the school fair. I have some available to buy online.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fabricate

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Collage to which every child could contribute a square or object to hang up.
    Not for decoration but they just love making finger /hand puppets which can then be used in lessons (particularly MFL).
    Bookmarks are another idea.
    Cushions for 'quiet area', pin-cushions for sewing lessons, aprons for cookery.
    Really it all depends on resources & enthusiam..

3. I love the idea of the collage - that could brighten up the corridors.
    Cushions would be great in our comfort zone. Thanks for the great ideas!

4. I think is is a longer challenge, and not particularly useful, but it can easily be related to recyling/reusing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/thingstodo/makeit/sockmonster

5. They aren't quite what I was after but they are awesome!! I might have a go myself. Maybe furher into the year when we have decorated the school we could start to make take home projects. Thanks for the website :)

6. Could you tell me how you made the felt bunting? I'd like to do this with my class but I'm not much good at sewing!

7. I did it with Year 1 and Year 2 children. I had a TA and we made sure to only sew with 8 children each max!
    The rest of the children did indep activities such as designing their bunting, observational drawing of existing drawings, prastising threading large needles, practising running stitch in hessian, sewing in straight line, sewing round the edges, practising attaching beads.
    First we looked at bunting and set context - make some to decorate school.
    Activities included:
    • Cutting template, tracing and cutting out felt flag. Each child made own flag to go on the ric ric string to make class bunting.
    • Learning to thread needles and sew (we use large plastic needles and hessian!! and then moved onto the large eyed needles and felt)
    • Investigated how to attach a bead - glue or sewing onto felt and evaluated (all the glued ones had fallen off by the next week!)
    • Learned to sew a bead (the large pony beads that have big hole in - come in lovely colours including glittery ones which were popular - found on ebay)
    • Cut pieces of felt into small rectangles to fit on bunting with pinking shears. Then they painted their initial in glue with a think paint brush and tipped glitter on
    • they did simple running stitch around their flag using their colour choice of embroidery thread
    • glued the felt initials to bunting - investigation showed this was ok!
    • sewed a couple of beads to their flag
    • then me and the TA sewed them all together using gold ric ric.
    They look great. Practising sewing lots before doing final one was essential! Some of the Year ones could not sew at all. By the end they could ALL sew around the edge of the flag (about a cm in).
    We just kept chanting up and down, up and down. Children are so tempted to keep putting the needle through the fabric in the same direction ending in tangles. Small groups to sew with so you can spot and correct mistakes! Also as you get to know their sewing ability you can group them so you only have a few in the group that will need support. Made the lessons lovely and relaxing.
    Must have worked for the children as lost of hands went up when I asked who would like to do a sewing club at lunchtimes.
    I decided to sew beads instead of buttons as the holes in the beads were easier. We went up, through, down, up through, down. Can still hear children chanting it ha.

Hope that helps!?!

8. Sounds wonderful! Thanks very much.