1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seville

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Aug 20, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Apologies for jumping on a city break bandwagon here but I'm off to Seville in October with Baby Bassett no. 2 and although we are aware of the obvious attractions I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions for what to see there? TIA

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Can't remember much about it
    Torre Giralda
    The nearby palace
    The exhibition parc where they had the 1929 exhibition. Nice walk but you can't go in.
    Spent a lot of time walking to random places and around churches

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Went last November for ten days. Lovely city. Hire a rowing boat in Maria Luisa park and see the cathedral with its Moorish belltower, the Giralda. The Alcazar is lovely but the queues to get in are long. We went on a free walking tour of the main sights in order to get out bearings. You can usually sign up in your hotel.The barrio de Santa Cruz is delightful (next to the cathedral) and, over the river, so is Triana. The river and the Torre del Oro are both well worth a visit. It's lovely just stopping off at various bars and cafés and having a coffee or a caña. One more unusual place to visit is Las Setas, the mushrooms, an elevated walk and viewing structure, which is a little way out of the main tourist hub.One of the main tourist things to do is to go to a tablao , a flamenco show. We also took a coach to Córdoba and a train to Cádiz for two day trips. Granada is also accessible. We loved it.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The main tourist things are all terrific. In Cadiz I found it exciting seeing the archives of the explorers to S America and there seems to be a similar archive in Seville, so I'd recommend that. Cordoba is worth a visit if you thought you wouldn't fill your time in Seville but Granada is quite a long way.

5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

We only have four days, so doubtful we'll leave Seville, but thanks for the tip @lindenlea !

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

We did a boat boat along the river when we were there, which was nice.

7. LondonCanary

You will be too late in the year for a bullfight, but not everyone's cup of tea.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

See if their marmalade is any good.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We sat having a meal in a little square in Seville and a giant orange fell out of a tree on to another diners table

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Go and see the elephant: Babar of Seville, he has a nice line in marmalade.

11. LondonCanary

The oranges from the trees are edible, if you like them sharp. A bit like an orange flavoured lemon.

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Mrs M and I live in inland Andalucia and we often need to warn intending visitors that the spring and autumn evenings can be chilly. Bring the cardie.

13. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

If you like art, the Museo de Bellas Artes is super..... my favourite gallery anywhere! The hop on hop off bus is good to get bearings and gives you the opportunity to see sights in Triana that you may not discover yourself. The free walking tour is great....informative and really enjoyable. It really is a beautiful city..... we're going for a few days before Christmas so please let us know if you find anything else that has been missed on the thread so far!

lindenlea and BertieBassett2 like this.