1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seville Oranges

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 27, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Do you think you could substitute the usual whole lemon for a Seville orange in a Sussex Pond Pudding?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Probably too bitter and loads of pips!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I suspect you're right.

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The duck with seville orange sounds worth a try.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Well I made dark marmalade from Delia's winter and it is hopeless - orange toffee more like!! Anyone got a better recipe?

9. I tried this recipe and it was rubbish. I thought it was something I had done. Orange toffee describes it perfectly.

I am trying James Martin's recipe tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes. If nothing else it will be very expensive marmalade, taking into account the amount I have spent so far!

10. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Confirms what I think about Delia, her recipes do not work, they are way out in quantities, I only ever found one that works, from a 'Fish Cookery ' supplement with sainsbury's magazine my mum gave me.

11. Well I have to say the James Martin recipe worked a treat, and very easy. I made two batches second slightly better than the first.
    Things I did that may have made a difference.
    Put the oranges in hot water for 10 mins, this was primarily to wash them but it also seemed to loosen the insides and made it easier to scoop.
    Put the pips and other stuff that did not go through sieve in a muslin and put in pot and took out before adding sugar.
    Warmed the sugar before adding it.
    I am really proud of my results. Hope this helps others.

12. Seville orange curd?

13. ljr

ljr New commenter

I made this Waitrose recipe yesterday. It was easy to make and it tasted gorgeous while it was still warm- I've now got to leave it for a month before we can eat it. I recommend it while you can still get the oranges.

Seville Orange & apricot chutney

Fills about 4 x 500g jars
    4 Seville oranges, zest removed and finely chopped, flesh cut into chunks and pips removed
    350g dried apricots, pre-soaked or ready-to-eat, roughly chopped
    75g sultanas or raisins
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    600ml white malt vinegar
    225g light muscovado sugar
    2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    6 cloves
    1tsp freshly grated nutmeg or small piece mace
    1tbsp roughly crushed black peppercorns
    2tsp salt
    Method

Put all the ingredients in a large enamel preserving pan or glass bowl and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
    Bring the mixture to the boil in the preserving pan or a very large pan, then reduce the heat to a simmer and leave to cook very gently until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring regularly - chutney is a terrible sticker. Be patient, the process can take up to 1 hour. Should the base stick and burn, don't panic - just tip everything which hasn't stuck to the bottom into a clean pan, add a little water, and carry on.
    Meanwhile, sterilise the jars. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. If using recycled jars, remove old labels. Wash the jars in hot, soapy water inside and out, rinse and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes just before you fill them.
    When the chutney is thick and dark, remove from the heat and pot in the hot jars. When cool, seal with non-metal tops as vinegar corrodes metal. Keep the jars in a cool dark larder: light and warmth are the enemies of pickles. Ready in a week or two, better after a month.