1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seville oranges

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I bought some yesterday at my local greengrocer for 0.71 per pound, which was cheaper than the supermarket

2. Thanks cosmos, I saw some for £2.21 per kg at my deli/greengrocer and thought this was expensive but had nothing to compare it to.
    I will have to venture further afield.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I usually get them for free!! Visits to the Middle East or North Africa or Spain in January or February mean that I can usually pick my own. We had Damascus oranges,Marrakesh oranges and Seville oranges, blagged by me!! I'll be on the look out in Jordan in 2 weeks.

4. How lovely lapinrose! Could you bring me some back! lol I think I remember reading you live in the South East, not too far from me!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

OK, not sure how many I can illegaly smuggle in, but you're on the list.BTW

The first lot were through accident, we'd gone to Beirut for a break and went across to Damascus for a day and outside the museum was a Seville orange tree. So the café owner knocked some down for me, then I bought lemons in Sidon and made Biblical marmalade!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll see if I can get any first!! Now that the local fruit and veg shop has closed we only have Morrisons, although one of the butchers has opened a fruit and veg shop, and there is Tesco Express or the Co-op, neither of which sell Seville Oranges.

It's really interesting as the Seville Orange came from China originally, taken on the Silk Route to the Middle East and then by the Moors to Spain. Food is fascinating!!

7. That is interesting about their origin. I will inform my son, who when I asked if anyone could think of anywhere he suggested Serville!

They are selling the oranges in 'Bills' I dont know if you know the shop. There is one in the lanes in Brighton and one in Lewes but I thought I would look for cheaper first. They are £2.21 per kg. I have just rang my only other local greengrocers and they are £2.19.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You could try Morrisons, yes I do know Bill's but we grow most of the veg we need.

The Moors also took Almonds, saffron, sweet oranges and, I believe, rice to Spain. Rice is grown around Valencia.