1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by the_pelican, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have a question which I am not sure has an answer- can you classify particular SEN under Severe
    Learning Difficulties and Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties.
    Basically, I am asking if there is a list of SLDs which are exclusive to that list or if as SEN is so complex this does not exist. I googled this but I can't seem to find the answer.
    Thankyou

2. Hi,
    I have a question which I am not sure has an answer- can you classify particular SEN under Severe
    Learning Difficulties and Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties.
    Basically, I am asking if there is a list of SLDs which are exclusive to that list or if as SEN is so complex this does not exist. I googled this but I can't seem to find the answer.
    Thankyou

3. I don't think it is that easy to categorise as many conditions are on a spectrum and can affect people to varying degrees, e.g. Retts, cerebral palsy, autism, etc...

4. I agree with Sylviee. I work with many students who have the same conditions but some of them are classified as having moderate learning difficulties whilst others are classified as having severe learning difficulties because the way their condition affects them is different.

5. Hi.
    That is great and exactly what I thought. I think it is hard as no two children are the same even with the same SLD. Thankyou for your replies. It is much appreciated.