1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Several autistic children in mainstream class

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by behindprivateeyes, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer a some ideas. I've got four children on the autistic spectrum in my mainstream class, all very different individuals and, whilst none is a major disruption, it seems that whatever I plan to do causes a problem - it seems that being able to teach autistic children individually is nothing compared to a group. My main worry is, oddly, working in a group situation.
    Does anybody have ways of supporting groupwork or paired work in the primary classroom?

2. Try to get to a Teacch Training. Try to set up individual learning stations for each child and individualize things as much as possible. Exellent classroom management is essential - close family contact is essential. Get the support staff onboard or get different TAs if you can. This situation calls for really good support. Find a motivation system for each individual and reward consistantly. Everything will cause trouble until you get the leaks stopped.
    http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BB594DC4-8CF5-400C-B32C-194A8538C1EB/85443/A4TEACCH1.pdf
    Google Teacch