1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seven weeks post escape !!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missteach2005, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Glad you’re happy with your decision OP.

I’m still in teaching, but in private language schools now. I have no half terms, no super long holidays and do 6 hours teaching (not PPA or anything like that, actually teaching classes) every day Mon-Fri. I have no need for massive holidays because my workload is more than doable in the equivalent of PPA time I have, and my stress levels are almost zero.

Of all the jobs I’ve ever done, it was only in teaching in state secondary schools that I felt so physically and mentally exhausted every 6-8 weeks that I was desperate for a holiday. I enjoyed teaching in state secondaries, but surely that need for a break can’t be healthy.

MarieAnn18, Mrsmumbles, Curae and 2 others like this.
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Well done and good luck to the OP.

Teachers’ holidays come up again. Time to remind ourselves that, whilst they’re great, there’s not as much of a difference as some suggest.

Teachers get 13 weeks.

Others get 4 weeks.

Only they don’t. Very few jobs offer only 4 weeks. When I worked in admin I got 5, and my other half gets 6.

Only she doesn’t. She gets 6 weeks + bank holidays, almost all of which happen during teachers’ holidays, so she gets roughly another 2 weeks, so that’s 8.

As a teacher, huw baby weeks if our ‘holidays’ do we work? It’ll be different for everyone, but let’s guess that it averages out as us working for the three 1 week half term holidays. That means we only get 10.

All of a sudden, 8 weeks vs 10 weeks doesn’t seem quite such a big gap as the 4 weeks vs 13 it’s usually painted as.

Especially when most of that 8 weeks can be taken when you want.

3. Chitara

Chitara New commenter

And when teachers are only paid for 39 weeks a year but still need to work during their unpaid holidays.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I don’t even notice working on the half terms now. When I see my teacher friends just before the holidays they are like walking zombies. I recall that feeling well. I don’t work evenings or weekends anymore so I’m not tired like I used to be. I used to work enough in the holidays as it was. Now, if I work, it’s isn’t counted as leave. That alone is a huge step.
    Not having that earth shattering tiredness and raised cortisol levels is worth every second for me. Truth is, teachers should be on .8 timetables as they are the only ones doing a five day week.

missteach2005 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I recognised the name Euler diagrams from many years ago but had forgotten what they were so had to google them.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Teachers are paid for 52 weeks a year. Holidays are not 'unpaid'.

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Ooh behave! (Kenneth Williams flashback!)

8. Mrsmumbles

Exactly. Gentle pace with built in downtime, as opposed to mad mad overwork and built in burnout.

agathamorse and MarieAnn18 like this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

Yes but add up all the overtime, working from 4pm up to 10 pm, that’s an extra average 30 hours a week. It’s what I did. The pressure is huge and SLT get away with...just by swapping full time teaching to part time tutoring gets me an extra eight hours free a day.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

teachers are not paid for holidays, teachers are paid for 6 x 6 half term teaching, + 3 x 1 week holiday ( the half term holidays) so we technically get 3 weeks paid holiday a year, although actually we don't because there is always at least one term that goes over 12 weeks

Christmas, Easter and Summer are unpaid.

teachers are paid for 39 weeks, that money is added up together and divided into 12 equal parts, and paid out once a month.

to test this out, take 1 day unpaid leave.

You will lose 0.5% of your annual salary

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I disagree, dunnocks. Support staff salary is worked out at 39 weeks plus holiday pay divided into twelve months.

As Rott Weiler says, teachers are paid an annual salary over 52 weeks. The 39 weeks is the period of time they can be directed by headteachers.

12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

When we lost a day’s pay for a strike it was 1/365 of the annual salary.

13. Rott Weiler

That is not correct unless, highly unusually, you have a contract of employment that expressly states that. Otherwise teachers' pay accrues daily for the full 52 weeks of the year. This was confirmed in the Supreme Court last year [Hartley v King Edward VI College [2017] UKSC 39]

agathamorse and GirlGremlin like this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it isn't "highly unusual" at all, completely standard, in every school i have ever known, losing one day's pay, for a strike, or unpaid leave, or whatever, is taken to be just about 0.5% of your annual salary.

Because we get nothing for the holidays, even though pay is spread out to cover that.

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

support staff pay is totally different.

that is entirely at the discretion of whoever is paying you - they don't have to dock so little, they can dock more

16. Rott Weiler

The Supreme Court has ruled that isn't correct and I'll accept their judgement.

I can only assume you haven't read the Supreme Court decision I cited as that case was all about what deduction can be made when someone goes on strike and their decision was clear and binding. It isn't "entirely at the discretion of whoever is paying you". It's 1/365th unless your contract specifies otherwise. If you are on Burgundy Book conditions of employment it does have a specific provision (Section 3, paragraph 3) but that also says 1/365th.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    GirlGremlin likes this.
  17. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

Missing the holidays hasn't bothered me at all as I don't have kids and having to holiday Inn such holidays I always found annoying. I'm enjoying the work and live working 9-5.

agathamorse and Benidorm83 like this.
  18. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

Wow! My post has really got you on your soap box hasn't it .I retract nothing. After 13 years teaching I don't miss a single element of it .I have so much more energy to do stuff and I don't feel desperate for holidays all the time .

agathamorse and BioEm like this.
  19. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

I for one appreciate your honesty and candour @missteach2005 as I’m another soon-to-be escapee after 16 years of teaching. And I’m a good one at that. I just can’t and don’t want to deal with all the extra rubbish anymore. I need my life back!

I’ve no job yet but a few interviews lined up and hope to be as happy as you once I have a new career.

20. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

I escaped a couple of years ago now. My job is fascinating, fulfilling and I don't miss the holidays. I don't need them in that desperate way because I am not working 70 hours a week but only being paid for 35. I work 37 hours and get paid for that and any extra I do. I don't miss the absurd admin, rude children and miserable staff I used to work with. I'm talking about state secondaries here; my time in indie was lovely. I still don't miss it though.