1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seven weeks post escape !!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missteach2005, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Data scientist okay?

[​IMG]

thekillers1 likes this.
  2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I agree with @sbkrobson. OP obviously seriously thought about a career change because teaching wax not working out for whatever reason. She has actually done something proactive about her life and moreover has taken the time to share her happiness and success with us. I do feel that congratulations and admiration are called for rather than comments aimed at making OP feel resentful ( I am sure she is not).
    Anyway well done ...you are happy and successful and no one can take that away from you.
    Curaex

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Best wishes for successful career in your new job. Whenever you get a bit fed up just think:

No Ofsted, fewer pointless meetings, no exasperating parents' evenings, people aren't rude to you All the time, you don't get led to as much, your time out of work is yours, no tedious marking, no pointless paperwork ...and that's just for starters.

4. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Very well done, I say. Being happy and healthy is more important than how many holidays you have ( and in teaching, those holidays are not as long as some posters would have us believe after taking into account data inputting, classroom displays and other classroom preparation, lesson planning, organising home visits - if early years, PM preparation, etc,etc). Yes, some people adore teaching and couldn’t imagine doing anything else, others become disillusioned along the way and become desperate for a better work/home life balance.
    Good luck, and may you continue to reap the benefits of escaping from something that was making you unhappy.

5. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

I miss the holidays. The plus side is that because I don't have children, I'm able to book much cheaper holidays and do things in the week I wouldn't normally do. This week I've booked 3 days off from Wednesday and will be going to London to watch a comedian. Not something I would have done before if I was teaching. So being able to book your own days does have it's merits.

But I mean...6 weeks off in the summer. That is something that I will always miss no matter what.

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Well done. I am 4 years post teaching now and love my life and job in the NHS. My holidays are still quite generous and I still have holidays every 7-8 weeks. Most of all I don't need them. I took a pay cut but it was worth it.

7. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I love this diagram - it's an interesting representation. Are there similar diagrams for other jobs or skills?

Stiltskin likes this.
  8. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

You've started something now, Stiltskin...I'm discovering the joy of Euler diagrams! :)

Curae, Shedman, clarity66 and 2 others like this.
  9. escaped_teacher

escaped_teacher New commenter

I am also a data analyst. To those who asked how to become one: you look for a job advert, apply and beat all other applicants. Then you go and do it. At least this was how I did it (and my degree is in English with no formal qualifications in Maths, Statistics, IT, Excel or anything of the kind).

No, I'm not. You only need those with a job where you spend more than 7.5 hrs a day working; and in an environment where you are constantly abused by unruly teenagers and underdeveloped adults.

Because you have a job that makes it necessary to be in recovery every year for 8 weeks.

No, they aren't. For 2 reasons: 1. Data and Analytics is quite an interesting thing; 2. it is only in teaching that "working hours" means you have to work all those hours - and then some at the weekend and in the evenings. (Which is why you get the 8 weeks off in the summer.)

[/QUOTE]and you do have to work a huge number of days.[/QUOTE]
    Caterpillartobutterfly, you equal "working days" = tiring, unpleasant, something-I-need-a-break-from. Because you're a teacher. But it's not all like that "outside".

10. Catjellycat

Catjellycat New commenter

I don’t miss the holidays. I don’t miss spending the first week in bed with either pure exhaustion or the sickness is ignored to get through it.

I was on a 0.7 contract and was averaging 40 hours a week in teaching. I now get full time money and work 36. With a full lunch hour. And working from home. If I end up in an early grave now, it’ll be from the cakes from local shop rather than pure stress.

I miss the children though.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I was 0.8FTE and did about 60 hours a week. I am now doing other things and do about 35 hours a week. In effect, I am now full time, but do less work. Go figure!
    And I don't miss the holidays. I used to spend 2 weeks in July feeling dreadful, two weeks away and then work prparation for two weeks. I worked for six days every half term. Now, when I am off work, I am not working. It's wonderful.
    I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself, @MissTeach. Long may it last!

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No more judgy than...
    Nope I really don't and also what a terribly judgy thing to say.

I do apologise everyone, I forgot the number one rule of TES (a site primarily for teachers) is
    It is absolutely fine to post that teaching is unpleasant, horrible, something to get away from, but do not ever post that any other profession is anything other than amazing and definitely do not post that teaching is actually a fab, enjoyable and amazing job.

GirlGremlin and drvs like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Stop it now.
    You're entitled to love or hate your job.
    We all are.
    It doesn't matter what job it is.
    OP posted a piece of joy, and I wanted to express to you that it's a shame you didn't embrace that sense of joy. That's all.
    You posted from the heart though, which is what it's all about here, so good on you.
    So what if I don't agree with you? My opinion is not important enough to stop you ever posting from the heart.
    Please don't flounce.
    Raise a glass with me to the OP and the fact they are happy.
    And I also raise a glass to you and the fact that you enjoy what you do too. Good stuff. And good for the kids you work with.

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Thanks. Possibly, I created this one for a session I do for ks4 and ks5 students on data science. I may do some more to represent engineering.

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Personally, I think teaching in that school culture is far more toxic than we realise...I think it messes up and covertly institutionalises all of us. I never thought it did once, but now I know it did. In life’s grand scheme, with the be edit of three years out now, taking unctuous little bellends seriously because your job depends upon doing so, staying up till 11pm marking with a 7am start to look forward to the next day, the arrogance and laziness of many students, the who,e blame game, pushy and yet amazingly blinkered and stupid parents, frazzled HOD, treacherous HODs, child SLT, psychotic SLT, ‘Bad Education Shakeel-style’ SLT, and getting excited because you’ve finally made a pretty PowerPoint or for once, a gob-bratty kid who blames it all on you didn’t answer you back in class...well, it’s ridiculous, obviously not worth wasting one’s life on, and all rather unnecessary. I want to look back in my life and, like John Le Messurier, say: ‘It’s all been really rather lovely’, not ‘It’s been a demoralising, exhausting battle and I’m a withered husk of a human being who wasted three thankless decades slaving in schools.” Because that’s been really rather cruddy. Just an observation.

16. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

Good stuff!

Mrsmumbles, clarity66 and agathamorse like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

This is how John looked after he was told he was off to Dad’s army rather than a PGCE at Bognor:
    E3A95C32-355C-4AA6-AD06-5E8D50FBFEBA.jpeg

tosh740 and agathamorse like this.
  18. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Oh dear me.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Few teachers live in cuckoo land. You and Mr DRVS are two of the few.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

I too can not wait to leave. I am getting teary at the thought because teaching has been a big part of my life. But at my age, 40, I have seen older teachers hounded out of their posts, been through pointless reviews, book scrutinies the boarder the stupid. 6 tedious weeks and counting. No I won't miss the holidays because I can do what I like in the evenings and weekends. I am off back to college to retrain. Good luck OP.