1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seven weeks post escape !!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missteach2005, Jun 3, 2018.

1. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

Well, it's been seven weeks since I started my new job as a data analyst . Life from teaching is so good. Stress levels are at 0%
    I can do what I want in the evening. Traffic to work is great in the holidays. I love the people I work with, we have such a laugh.
    The freedom I have is immense .

All those still teetering on whether to leave . Stop teetering, and do it for you .

The school will go on without you and your life will be so much better for the escape .

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Congratulations

missteach2005, Curae, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Excellent news. I am glad this has worked out. The feeling you describe of freedom IS priceless.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Curaex

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't forget to leave some tips and hints on how to do it!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You must surely to goodness be desperate for a half term or longer holiday. In just under seven weeks I will have a whole entire 8 weeks off work (Very possibly more than a data analyst gets in a year!) and am just finishing a week off, where I have spent half a day working.

You might have evenings and weekends free, but your working hours must be god awfully boring, and you do have to work a huge number of days.

JohnJCazorla and drvs like this.
  6. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I am so glad to read that you are happy, but was just about to ask, like CTB above, how you feel about losing school holidays? That is one thing which puts me off applying for non-school based posts.

Having been a teacher forever, I think it must feel weird to just keep on going and going...though I guess you can book the odd long weekend from 25 days’ leave or whatever you get? And I guess if you are happy it isn’t so bad.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Without the stresses and hard work of teaching, I believe you don't need the holidays!!

8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I don't. But then, I don't find teaching hard work or stressful. Horses for courses eh?

9. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

I think that Teaching should be chosen as a career for reasons other than holidays. A sinking feeling, that I often experienced before each holiday was over, should have told me to get out of Teaching 20 years before I did. My advice to anyone is to get out before you waste your life.
    It is so much nicer to enjoy your job and have less holidays, in my opinion.

10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Message me on how to become a data analyst.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Having been both sides, I've found as long as you're enjoying the thing you do then the hours/holidays don't matter. As soon as you find yourself wishing for the day to end/holiday to start on a regular basis then it's time to look for something else. Being in the right place at the right time, or as @drvs says, it's horses for courses (your horse may be subject to change in the future).

I've always needed a job that stimulates me and makes me want to learn more and be able to share/use that. So what was interesting and fun to start with sometimes started to fall into a routine and that's when I left.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The OP seems to enjoy the new job and she says she has a laugh at work. Depending on who she works for,her holiday allowance could be above the statutory minimum. My husband is in what would qualify as a manual job and he gets nearly 7 weeks holidays. My friend who works for the council,gets even more. Of course,they can take their holidays when they want and don't suffer from sheer mental and physical exhaustion.

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Debatable opinions, plus the original poster now has a far higher chance of a longer healthier life.

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It’s not as bad as you’d think. I actually work Saturday mornings as well now, but I still have loads more free time and energy. Every hour is on my terms, for my pay, with my students. Takenawa6 the pointless admin and posturing time, and BAM..straightaway another free ten hours a week. Slower and steadier burn as opposed to work work to breaking point, then spend two months recovering. I know which I prefer.

clarity66, pepper5, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

And which is healthier.

clarity66, Curae, pepper5 and 5 others like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But best of all is to enjoy your job AND have the holidays! :)

thekillers1 and agathamorse like this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done.

missteach2005, Curae and pepper5 like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

19. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

...as I want to know how to become one!!!

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What an odd judgy judgy comment.
    OP has posted "I'm doing this, I like it because of x,y and z"
    And you have told them how many days they have to work and posted "must be go awfully boring"
    Eh?
    This is pre conceiving, rather than listening.
    Or raining on a parade.
    Or simply not accepting a happy life out of teaching.
    Or something like that...you know better than me...