1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Settling in week!? Amazing World!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tray84lou, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hello!!
    well here goes...starting in reception class in september equally as excited as I am petrified! Im an NQT and was in the school for the last term so picked up where the last teachr left off. Ive made some changes over the summer to the cassroom and have lots of things I want to put into practice. I am however struggling to do my first few weeks of planning and need your help!! I know it's all about settling in activities and getting to know each other but what sorts of things do you do and how long do you carry it on for?

My theme for autumn 1 is Amazing world. will be doing jungle, pirates and the sea in continuous provision areas but struggling to structure something related to the theme for outside!! Having major brain problems at the min!!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice xx

2. Hello!!
    well here goes...starting in reception class in september equally as excited as I am petrified! Im an NQT and was in the school for the last term so picked up where the last teachr left off. Ive made some changes over the summer to the cassroom and have lots of things I want to put into practice. I am however struggling to do my first few weeks of planning and need your help!! I know it's all about settling in activities and getting to know each other but what sorts of things do you do and how long do you carry it on for?

My theme for autumn 1 is Amazing world. will be doing jungle, pirates and the sea in continuous provision areas but struggling to structure something related to the theme for outside!! Having major brain problems at the min!!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice xx

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

The activities I will provide will be quite general and not topic specific (sand/water/playdough/ free drawing/ basic counting/sorting games/ construction/book area/small world etc) until I have spent time getting to know the children and their interests.
    I will have a mini topic about ourselves and our families where the children will be able to talk about themselves (a good topic for settling in and getting to know each other). I will also be focussing on class routines/behaviour and how we treat the equipment (tidying up etc).
    This will go on for the first 3 weeks to give me and TA time to settle children in, observe their starting points and evaluate the observations we have made. From then onwards I will start focus weeks for 3 children and base some of the planning on their interests and some on a topic which is relevant to the time of year (usually Autumn....but only if the leaves are falling off the trees and not before that!), or the general interests of the class, last year our Animals topic went on for long time!
    I wouldn't worry too much about making every area fit your topic, this can become very tedious over time....believe me I have done this in the past!
    However, you could build pirate ships with large construction, make large flags to go on 'ship', make telescopes, sea creatures/ ships in water tray, making ships for water tray with paper sails. Make animal masks for children to be jungle animals outside (they will make a lot of noise so outdoors is best for animal role-play!) Dens for 'animals.

4. Thanks Hurny!!
    That is all a great help! Im just usure of what you mean by starting focus weeks for 3 children. can you explain this a little further please!! I understand what you mean about trying to fit it all into one topic..think I am putting too much emphasis into this!
    Thanks agin for yolur help!

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

Each week we target 3 children, this is their 'focus week'. We make 2-3 long narrative observations of their activities, send home a parent booklet to record their child's interests/development progress/and what they would like to learn next and collate all of their spontaneous (short observations)/photos.
    I then evaluate all evidence, look at where the child is at on the EYFSP and create an individual plan for the child's next steps (based on their interests and learning needs).
    In my old school I would meet with the parents at the beginning of the next week to share the individual plan, however, this has not yet been organised in the school I work in now and we meet at parents evenings once per term. I show the parents the photos/observations and the child's work and we discuss.
    Then I put the individual planned activities into my short term plan to ensure I am helping the child to reach their next steps.
    I do 3 children per week as this ensures children have a focus week once per term (30 children).