1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Settlement Agreement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mrdarocha, Feb 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrdarocha

mrdarocha New commenter

Without going into detail, I am in talks with my school about a settlement agreement. My concern is that they have set a termination date of 31 March which is a date during the Easter break and effectively after the end of the spring term. However looking at the forums here and it seems the 30 April should be the end date? Should I be worried about affecting future employment? Stupidly I am not in a Union so cannot get advice via that route at the moment. I am contacting a solicitor for legal advice though.

Also, if April is set as the end date, is it fair to be paid for this period if I am on Gardening leave?

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

It is madness to be a school teacher and not be in a union. Who will stand up for you when it hits the fan?

FrankWolley, HelenREMfan and GLsghost like this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Worth asking @GLsghost about this who may be able to help

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How upsetting this is. And, yes, I agree about the unions.

Join a Union. Yes, now!

I assume that this is the article that you have read:

Settlement Agreements

It would be normal, yes.

Best wishes

5. mrdarocha

mrdarocha New commenter

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I fully agree that not being in a Union hasn't helped matters and I would strongly advise anyone who isn't to join one!

Yes, TheoGriff I did read that article, just wasn't sure if that still applied as it was written in 2013? Just to confirm I really should be pushing for a termination date of April 30 and not accepting March?

Thank you again for your help

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

You should ask for April 30th as your end date as this will look better on any future teaching job applications. Presumably your school would prefer not to pay you for that month which is why they are saying March. Good luck.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Written first in 2013, but all the articles are regularly updated - it would be removed of no longer relevant.

Best wishes

8. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

If it's a settlement in respect of termination then it's something that will be offered to you and you can ask to discuss or revise any part of what they offer you. A teacher can leave at any time by mutual consent.