1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Settlement agreement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Emr1983, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

hi.
    I started my nqt year in September and without going into too much information I have been offered a settle agreement. The school have offered my end contract date to be the end of Jan, so I can move on and do some supply or work in another school. If I have the end date as April half term I am aware it will look better. However I will not be able to work anywhere else?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On dear, how very upsetting for you.

And how very difficult.

You really should be talking to your union. In fact, the Settlement Agreement will not be legal unless you have had professional advice.

The problem here is firstly that the school wishes you to leave fast, and would not be happy paying you another 3 months until the normal leaving date of 30 April.

And secondly the issue of your NQT year.

You must contact your union regional office ASAP.

Meanwhile, read this.

Settlement Agreements

Best wishes

3. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

I have had my Union involved from the beginning of problems. We gave the school a figure for a resignation and it was accepted if no further action would be taken against the school. Sorry I cannot go into further details.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very relieved to hear that your union is supporting you here.

And no, don't give further details.

Best wishes

5. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

Thank you very much Theo. I have been following the threads on here for some time and find your advice really helpful and sound. It must be a relief for many teachers to have these forums to vent and sound of their issues with others without having to talk to others in school for fear of it being passed to the wrong people!

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

@Emr1983 have the school made an agreement with you not to count this term towards your NQT year? I'm just thinking, if you stay until April then you could have this term as a fail, whereas if you leave at the end of Jan it won't count. And if they want you gone, they won't let you stay anyway. I'm an unhappy NQT who is thinking of resigning for Easter, by the way, so good luck :)

7. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

Yes this term will not be counted towards my NQT year. Good luck! X