1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Settlement Agreement Revoked by my school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by daisydayz13, Nov 20, 2017.

1. daisydayz13

daisydayz13 New commenter

Last week I signed my end of the SA and was happy with the agreed reference. The union solicitors were then going to do their bit. then my union have been in touch to say that my school is no longer going ahead with the SA. I now need to meet with the union, and go back to my GP for another sick note. No doubt the conditional job offer that I got last week will also be revoked due to the fact that my employer will no longer be agreeing to release me as soon as the SA was all signed, sealed a delivered. My WRS has returned ten-fold! To say I'm gob-smacked is an understatement.
    Oh wise ones, any advice to offer?
    And for me it's back to sleepless nights, lack of appetite, palpitation and headaches.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Daisydayz13

Sorry to hear of your setback. Try not to look ahead too much into the future and just concentrate on one day at a time. Wait and see what the union can do.
    Keep in touch with the Education Support Partnership for help as well as your GP.

Try and not panic as that won't help. Don't worry any further than one day. You can get through this by just thinking about what you have to do one day at a time.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So sorry. I don't know what to say.

Union and GP. But you already know that. Keep us in the loop. Just in case we can help.

4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

What a mess! I don't understand how a school can write a reference and offer a settlement agreement then pull out of all of it. Sounds very disorganised and an awful place to work. As others have just said: back to the doctor and try to just do things you enjoy while waiting for the situation to be sorted out properly.

5. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Sorry to hear this - if this had happened to me I'd be as unreasonable as I could be in future. If necessary I'd be getting signed off as long as possible, then if I have to go back, do a day or 2, then go sick again.

For now close liaison with your Union is needed - see if they can find out why the school reneged on the agreement.

daisydayz13 likes this.
  6. EllaEnchanted

EllaEnchanted New commenter

So sorry to hear this.I hope this will be sorted soon with the help of your union..Stay strong and do call the Education Support Partnership as they are really good at counselling which will ease the stress off you.

daisydayz13 likes this.
  7. Timeforachange2017

Timeforachange2017 New commenter

Oh no, sorry to hear this. Did they give you a reason why? I am going through this myself at the moment and have verbally agreed on SA today. It's an awful process as it is without setbacks like this!

Stay positive, it will all be over soon and you can move on with your life :)

8. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Oh my gosh Daisy - so sorry to hear that. Not to make light of your situation but when I am awake contemplating my own worries, I shall think of you.

daisydayz13 likes this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure I can add much to the sound advice above other than reiterating it.

daisydayz13 likes this.
  10. daisydayz13

Thank you Mrs fudgeface, and I’ll be thinking of you too.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not necessarily. Your current head would be VERY unpopular with the new head and may well not want that hassle.

Probably the SA came with some financial compensation, which the school no longer want to pay given you will be getting a new wage packet fairly soon. The school may well just want to release you early, without the SA, which will still work out for you.

Try not to panic yet...bit late now I know!
    Also be careful how much detail you post on here...the last thing you need is for someone involved to read something they take offence to.

knitone and Weald56 like this.
  12. HollyA23

HollyA23 New commenter

So sorry to read this.

Would you mind filling me in on your situation? Sounds like what I'm about to start the process of. PM me if needs be.

13. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

I concur with the sympathy - an appalling situation, but until both sides sign, there is no agreement. If the school knows you have a new job to go to they are under no obligation to offer a financial settlement because that is considered compensation for a period of unemployment. The school may still be agreeable to a mutual parting of the ways, however, even if there is no financial compensation. Let's hope that that is the case.

14. Psychochick

Psychochick New commenter

So sorry to hear you're going through this. I don't know the details of your situation but it sounds petty and horrible from their side.

15. daisydayz13

Well, I’ve now been awake from 1:50am so it’s not taken long for insomnia to return. All I keep thinking is what a mess this is. I wasn’t after a SA, but when my union suggested it, I thought yes I’ll go down this route as it’ll free me from my job and give me a bit breathing space to help pay the bills whilst I look for a non teaching job. :(

16. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Hope you are getting some rest - do something nice today. Do you have support at home?

daisydayz13 likes this.
  17. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

If your new job is outside teaching, do you actually need a reference from your school/HT? If not, perhaps you can afford to be less submissive/flexible?

18. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Can I ask a very obvious question:

Did you sign the document before the school withdrew?

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

More importantly, had the school signed?

20. daisydayz13

Yes, it's outside of teaching. A reference will by now have been requested. I went for the interview in good faith on the back of a verbal mutual agreement of terminating my contract on 31/10 in line with the resignation dates. I guess I now wait and see what the union advice will be. It really is now very messy