1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up ...starting tuition business

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by hairdo, Sep 5, 2017.

1. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

I am considering setting up my own business, working from home. I am sure some of you are doing this already so any help appreciated.
    Do I register as a sole trader?
    Following this how have people advertised beyond the usual flyers - Facebook or other social media? a website.
    I will need a website probably linked to Facebook ..not being website savvy could anyone offer some guidance on how to set this up?
    Decided I am going to take the plunge and go it alone and see what happens ..
    Thanks.

doctoryes likes this.
  2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I used to have a website, cost me money, brought me nothing. I have a facebook page and that is free and my friends share it for me, I don't often have evening spaces very long
    register as sole trader

3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

You need to register with HMRC and tell them that your are self employed. It's fairly straightforward.
    For websites there are "free" providers that don't charge a monthly fee for having a website. There are also ready made templates that you can personalise.
    I have a new website this year and have linked it to Twitter rather than Facebook. My teenage daughter has taken level 2 IT and designed it for me! Too early to say if it will bring in any new business yet though!

4. Matt-Thompson

Matt-Thompson New commenter

I've been tutoring online full time for the past 5 years and a website was the first thing I set up. I have experienced the many benefits of having a website so I recommend having your own site if you want to tutor online (or face to face). This will give potential students or parents a place to find you, it will help build trust in your services and a professional looking site is a great way to help you stand out from the crowd. Here's an article I wrote with a detailed break down on what I've included on my online tutoring website:
    http://smartonlinetutoring.com/what-every-online-tutor-needs

As for advertising your tutoring services, I've used a variety of marketing strategies (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and tutoring directories) and each of them have their benefits. However, investing in a website is a great place to start as a lot of my students find me via a Google search. If you want to focus on generating interest in your tutoring via Facebook, setting up a business Facebook page is a good idea.

Let me know if you need any more help getting started or if you want more information on different ways to advertise your tutoring business, you can read my marketing posts here:
    http://smartonlinetutoring.com/category/marketing

Steph2002 likes this.
  5. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I don't think you need a website particularly, however get yourself onto google as a business and link it to a Facebook page. Best to have a Facebook business page rather than under your own details to keep things separate. I also got clients from www.tutora.co.uk, recommendation and from people searching on Facebook and google. I seem to get very little dropout, so have come off the agency website now.

6. langteacher

I disagree with the post above as I've never paid to register with anything. Am I the only one who thinks it might be an advert?

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Yes it looks like an advert to me.

I prefer sites which are free to the tutor but charge a fee to the student for contact details so that you know they are serious if they buy your details.

langteacher likes this.
  8. langteacher

I had a look at that site
    Did a dummy search , found nothing near me , looked for English and maths and found a solicitor and someone who works in a museum or something .. Not an actual teacher

9. langteacher

The site says it was set up in 2018. New site New commentator who had a few students.... Hmm I wonder if there is connection! Reported as advertising

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

When I clicked the link I got a warning that the site was unsafe so didn't proceed any further.

11. langteacher

Looks like it's been removed