1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up school newspaper- after school club.Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rachel235, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm starting my first teaching post after Easter and I've been thinking about an after school club that I could run. I'm considering setting up a school newspaper, which no one else seems to be doing. Just wondered if anyone has any good advice/info about setting up a school newspaper? or if there are any other ideas for an after school club. Things like rounders, art and choir are already in action.

Thanks, any advice would be great.
    Rachel

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is your first post a permanent one? Will you be there past September? If so, I'd recommend you not starting a club until your second term. Your first post, plus a new school, plus induction nonsense, plus everything is generally enough work for most people. If you don't have to run a club, then don't. Or at least leave it until after half term, only a few weeks away anyway. Or work with a teacher who is already running one?

However if you do decide to run a club, then one that is a little less stressful than setting up a school newspaper might be a good idea. Running a paper is a great club, but it is a lot of work and you need some really capable and committed year 6 children to aid you. Unless you are teaching year 6, you might find this hard.

Goodness I sound a right misery guts! I mean to say, be careful you don't take on too much. Starting a new job can be stressful enough, starting your first one even more so.

3. Thanks so much for the advice. I will be teaching in September but not Year4, and I think you're right about trying not to take too much on. I guess I just wanted to make a good impression and do something a bit different for the children. I think you're right about waiting through as it means I get a better feel for the school and how well it would be received by the children.
    I think my first port of call is the ask if anyone would like my help running their current club.
    Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated :)

4. mean't to say. I'm not working with Year 6, I'm with Year 4. Sorry

5. i have given up the school newspaper as it got really too hard - do agree best to help out at first.
    later, if you do want to run a club - board games? library club? (ooh - sooo easy) explorers (going to the ict suite to do topic homework or similar)
    reminds me i want to start a thread on lunchtime clubs. cheers