1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up BTEC Media Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by scarnella, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to provide me with a little guidance. The Head in my school is very keen to introduce BTEC Media Level 2 & 3 within our school. While this is potentially exciting in terms of expanding the department, I am concerned about ensuring it is done properly, both for myself and potential students. We have only offered A Level Media Studies and at the moment have a teaching classroom with 7 computers at the back (with iMovie) and have always been told that the school has no money to spend on additional resources. When looking through the EdExcel specification, it looks like significant investment would be needed.
    I am currently writing out a list of questions/concerns and was wondering:
    (1) How much money (approximately) you think is necessary to setup a reasonably well resourced BTEC course?
    (2) Do you think that technicians are a necessity or have you coped without?
    Any other advice/important information not provided by the specification?

2. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to provide me with a little guidance. The Head in my school is very keen to introduce BTEC Media Level 2 & 3 within our school. While this is potentially exciting in terms of expanding the department, I am concerned about ensuring it is done properly, both for myself and potential students. We have only offered A Level Media Studies and at the moment have a teaching classroom with 7 computers at the back (with iMovie) and have always been told that the school has no money to spend on additional resources. When looking through the EdExcel specification, it looks like significant investment would be needed.
    I am currently writing out a list of questions/concerns and was wondering:
    (1) How much money (approximately) you think is necessary to setup a reasonably well resourced BTEC course?
    (2) Do you think that technicians are a necessity or have you coped without?
    Any other advice/important information not provided by the specification?

3. Enjoy the endless amounts of paperwork that Edexcel expect.

4. Hi Scarnella,
    I have introduced BTEC L3 (Film and TV) this year. So far, so good. It took a while to get my head around the requirements, writing the assignments and ensuring all documentation was in order and then I moved on to resourcing it. We have several Macs in the Media Suite and classrooms with ICT facilities. I was able to order 5 new digital cameras, 10 video cameras and literature to support the delivery of the course. This wasn't as expensive as orginally thought and would very much depend on what aspect of the BTEC you would deliver.
    I do not have technicians and although I guess they would be helpful, I am able to keep on top of the equipment along with help from the students. So if this is an added cost, I could imagine you could do without.
    It has been a long and at times stressful process, but, it seems to be going well- fingers crossed.
    Good luck!