1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up as KS1/KS2 tutor - lots of questions! Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by helenemdee, Jul 27, 2011.

1. helenemdee

helenemdee New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a primary NQT. I qualified last year and have spent most of the year on supply. I'm really interested in becoming a private tutor, not only to supplement my income over the holidays and beyond, but also because I would like to work more closely with individuals and small groups where behaviour would not be less of an issue and where I would be able to develop a more positive relationship with individuals. From what I've read so far it seems to be a pretty rewarding role and comes with much less stress than the job of a normal primary school teacher.
    I have looked for information on the Internet and have found some really useful info, especially from Home Tutors Directory. But I still have loads of questions about getting myself set up and starting out and would really appreciate your help with them.

*How should I advertise? I am thinking I will put a card in various shops and also put my details on a website like Home Tutors Directory - will this be sufficient? And also (this sounds stupid) but how should I write my advert? Should I quote my rates in the ad? How do I make people want to call me?
    *Where should I advertise? I live in a former mining village in Yorkshire, parts of which are fairly deprived. Is this the type of area where people would hire a personal tutor or should I advertise in the more affluent areas of town (I have my own car and am perfectly prepared to travel as long as it's not miles and miles)? Or should I just advertise in as wide an area as I am willing to travel?
    *What should I charge? I have read that £15-20 per hour is acceptable for KS1/2 tuition. Bearing in mind that tax will be high as this is not my only employment, and that I intend to travel to clients rather then have them come to me, I am thinking around £18ph, I would reduce to £10 or £12 for group bookings depending on size of groups.
    *How would I plan sessions? How do I gain access to schemes of work/level indicators etc? What should the structure of a session look like? Can you use the same kinds of resources you would use in a classroom (sheets etc.) but just on a one-to-one basis? How do I gain access to past papers?
    *What resources will I need? I want to tutor KS1 and KS2 since I am primary trained. English is my strongest area but I understand Maths is in high demand so I would be willing to tutor in both English and Maths, as well as Science at primary level. However, I can also offer French at KS2/3 and Sociology up to A-Level. The primary English/Maths would be my main target area though, so which books and resources are best to buy and where can I get them from?
    *How does a typical first session with a client go and what do I need to take? I'm assuming photo ID/copy of CRB to prove who I am? Introduce myself to parent and child and tell them a bit about myself? Talk through with child and parent the structure of what I will be doing with child? Make an initial assessment of what the child can do in the area I'm tutoring? Should I charge less for the first session?
    Lastly (promise!) how long do parents typically hire tutors for? A few weeks/months/years? And also, are sessions usually just an hour, or do parents sometimes request longer sessions?

I think that about covers it for now - sorry for the long post. I'm aware there are probably about 101 similar threads but given the varied nature of my questions I thought it would be best to start a new topic. I would really appreciate answers to any or all these questions and would find your help really valuable in getting myself set up.
    Thanks
    Helen x

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Hi there,
    I have recently started as a private tutor so I empathise with all your questions. I have had some great advice on here from more established tutors so I thought I would help as much as possible.
    I advertised on the web and within 3 weeks have picked up 4 children to tutor and have had to turn one away. I put an advert on tutors4me and firsttutors. I got some ideas of how to structure my advert by looking at some of the other adverts. Yes I did quote my rates in the ad. I also stated the distance I was willing to travel. I think you may need to be flexible, but don't agree to travel out too far, don't forget the travelling time adds to the total time of your session and the cost of the petrol too!
    Don't undersell yourself. I charge £25 an hour because I am qualified in Specific Learning Difficulties in addition to being an experienced primary teacher. And like I say, I have had to turn children away. I've also got a couple of my current tutees' parents asking me to teach their child for more than an hour a week. What I am trying to say is parents are willing to pay for a good tutor. I only teach 1:1 though, not groups.
    I plan sessions similar to a classroom lesson. I start with a warm up activity (or introduction) like a quick fire game linked to the previous lesson to ensure overlearning and revision of previously taught concepts. I then have the 'main body' of the lesson; modelling, shared activity, independent work, plenary etc. The beauty is you are there to guide the child every step of the way instead of realising they haven't grasped what you were teaching when you come to mark books!! I always finish off with a fun game, educational of course!!
    As you are primary taught, you should be familiar with the national curriculum level descriptors. They should guide you on what you should be teaching. If you are assessing reading - can you get hold of a variety of book banded books? Then you will be able to do a running record/miscue analysis and go from there. For writing you can use a piece of independent writing and use it for levelling. For maths you could use the maths tests on Wigan Schools online.
    The introductory session is really important. Its like a mini interview. At the end of the day, the parents are paying a lot of money and they want to make sure that you are the best person for the job. I've had one mum ringing a head teacher she knows for feedback about my work! I introduce myself and take my portfolio containing CRB certificate and all my academic certificates; degree, courses attended etc. I ask about the child and what the areas of concern are. I ask to see any school reports, IEPs etc. I lastly tell them about my terms; my charges, cancellation policy etc. I don't charge for this session. But from then on I do. I explain that the first couple of sessions with the child will be spent on 'assessing' them, but I charge accordingly as it is still time spent preparing for the forthcoming tutoring.
    I can't comment on how long these children will be tutored for as I am still quite new to it. I seem to have got off to a good start though. The children seemed to feel settled with me and parents seem quite happy. I only teach an hour at a time as I feel this is long enough, but as I said a couple of my parents are asking me to up my teaching sessions to 2 a week (which I can't do at the moment due to me other commitments).
    Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I know how nerve wracking it is. Good luck!

3. Hi Helen
    I'm only going to answer a few of your questions, hopefully other people can help on some of the others...
    Session length - with KS1 &KS2, I'd suggest that they might struggle to keep paying attention for a full hour... I've only tutored upper KS2 maths, and they generally cope with 45 mins, but would struggle with more, even with a lot of different activities/games to keep the interest up. Changing subject half way through might help, but there is no "down time" if they are being tutored 1-to-1, so they don't really get a break!
    I have had a few long term tutees, taken on with the understanding they needed help towards a particular exam (KS5), or to prepare for moving school (KS2), and had each for about a year (autumn to May) (though have then returned to tutor the next child in the family.
    My other tutees have been short term issues (a few weeks before an exam), and in one case a usually able child suddenly not "getting" maths - turned out to be a couple of misunderstandings of methods in class, fixed in 3 lessons, so I suggested to the parents that we didn't need to do more unless another problem arose. So in answer to your question, I've had some parents hire me for a few weeks or months, but with most the arrangement is to tutor for the rest of the academic year (mine usually don't decide on needing a tutor until a little way into the autumn term - or later)
    First lesson - I've explained in another message in more detail, but I usually start with a child friendly assessment - getting them to tell me what they can do .... (and a little checking that this is true, and together deciding what they can't yet do and want to work on in future lessons), plus lots of positive feedback, stickers (for KS2), and something they can demonstrate to parents at the end of the session (a new skill, an challenge completed...etc)
    I hope this helps
    Liz

4. Hi there,

I'm keen to get a tutor my seven year old as she is going into year 3 in September. Can you help ?

Thanks

5. Codylocklunstorm; I'm a tutor in London, currently teaching year 4. What part of London are you in?

6. Hi Lizziec

Would really appreciate any support/format to use for the Initial assessment for a Year 3 and a Year 4 pupil to get started

7. Plan first for the right name that you want to give for your business, it must be unique in order you own your business rights.. try reading this eatmywords.com/.../names it is about naming a business.