1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up a Stay and Play music session

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by I_Love_Books78, Dec 12, 2019.

1. I_Love_Books78

I_Love_Books78 New commenter

Hi there,
    The school I work at are very keen to set up a toddler's Stay and Play music session once a week to attract new parents to the school. These will be run by the music teacher. However I have several safeguarding concerns, such as no baby/ toddler changing facilities in the main building where the music room is (our eyfs building is separate), unfamiliar adults needing to be accompanied around the school and how this will work when parents arrive at different times.

I have come back with these concerns but am trying to think of ways around it. However I don't think it can go ahead. We can't have the sessions over in the eyfs building because of our teaching/learning going on. Has anyone any experience in setting up a stay and play session? Any advice gratefully received.

caress likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have set up something similar this term and is held nowhere near EYFS. The only difference for ours is it isn't wholly music based.

Changing facilities aren't needed. Parents change their own child, on their own travel changing mat and take the nappy away with them. It's apparently how many toddler groups in church halls and the like manage.

Parents arrive at the same time, for the start of the session and leave at the same time. So no one wanders around unaccompanied.

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  3. I_Love_Books78

I_Love_Books78 New commenter

Thank you for this. It's really helpful. I didn't think about parents changing their child on a travel changing mat. We have staff toilets which the parents could use if they need the toilet themselves. I suppose parents could be 'held' in the entrance hall until the session starts. Great information.