1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up a School Ebay- Selling Pupils Made Products.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by j.randall, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I'm having a bit of a dilemma working out the best way to set up an Ebay shop/account and not be in tax trouble. We are currently laser cutting some model building kits to use in wargames. The pupils are making them in luchtime and after school.
    We aim to sell them through an Ebay account but our issue is the fact that we do not pay VAT for our materials and we would then be selling them with VAT, creating a possible tax issue.
    We could buy the materials with VAT then sell them with VAT? I'm not sure if this would be legal etc.?
    If anyone has done anything like this I would be interested in your thoughts. What is the best way forward?

2. I'm having a bit of a dilemma working out the best way to set up an Ebay shop/account and not be in tax trouble. We are currently laser cutting some model building kits to use in wargames. The pupils are making them in luchtime and after school.
    We aim to sell them through an Ebay account but our issue is the fact that we do not pay VAT for our materials and we would then be selling them with VAT, creating a possible tax issue.
    We could buy the materials with VAT then sell them with VAT? I'm not sure if this would be legal etc.?
    If anyone has done anything like this I would be interested in your thoughts. What is the best way forward?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Just because you buy materials VAT free has no baring on selling them at a with VAT price.

4. Surely if you are selling with VAT included in the selling price you should be paying that VAT (it is a <u>tax</u>) to the relevant authorities.
    Might it be wise to check with them?

After all, if you maybe sell to organisations which can claim tax back they will try to recoup it - and if it hasn't been paid, well, you have a problem I think.

5. Dodgy ground here. Are the SLT aware? Do you have a charging policy? Who is going to be looking after the money? Paypal account in an employees name? If you charge VAT, then you will have to pay the VAT element back to the inland revenue and complete a VAT return periodically.
    What guarantees are you offering on your products? Who is going to deal with returns/complaints/postage etc etc?

6. robliverpool

robliverpool New commenter

Hi,

Firstly can I buy some off you I play war games and I am always on the look out for terrain!
    I think that you are thinking too much about this and it's an excellent project to give the pupils some 'business experience'

1). To protect your self set up new eBay and PayPal accounts using a school email address, use the school postal address.

2). Talk it through with the bursar and leave copies of usernames with the head. If they needed to access the account and you weren't around etc they could access your email and reset the password

3). I don't think recouping the vat is a problem as people who'd be buying this stuff wouldn't be recouping the vat

4). Don't be afraid to try new things just talk through everything with your line manager or head.

5). Dealing with returns isn't that big of deal.

Good luck!

Also have you thought about using forums to sell (no ebay fees)