1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting SMART targets for placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by EmmaVM, Oct 2, 2015.

1. EmmaVM

EmmaVM New commenter

I'm struggling with setting my own targets in readiness for the first assessed school placement starting shortly. Does anyone have any advice or can guide me towards resources that will help. After discussion with my mentor teacher, I will concentrate on GTC Scotland Prof. values and personal commitment 1.2 integrity (amongst others). But I haven't a clue how to write the action plan, success criteria and evidence sections of the target.
    Any help recieved with thanks!
    Emma

2. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Don't know about the GTC Scotland but prof values is a difficult one to set targets for if I'm honest.
    It's much easier this early on to set targets linked to planning and subject knowledge. I don't know if you could change your focus but I'd not be getting my trainee to set professional values targets this early on.

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Completely agree with @purplecarrot. I didn't set myself professional values targets until my final two places (i.e commitment to wider school life (setting up a club) - involvement in parents evening etc).

For my first placements I tended to set myself the main targets of assessment, planning & teaching and then broke this down. Assessment - develop self-assessment strategies or plan an effective plenary, for example.

For the action plan it simply became 3 bullet points in my folder, like so. With my last being a comment from my feedback/tutor or an observation I had made after the target was met.
    - Plan an effective plenary.
    - All children engaged and challenged / self-assessment strategy used / good timing.
    - "All children were motivated and showed good understanding of their learning".

Hope this helps. Good luck.