1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting price under £2.00

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by literarybimbo, Mar 20, 2016.

1. literarybimbo

literarybimbo New commenter

Hi everyone.

I'm struggling to set the price of my resources under £2.00.
    It's like there's a minimum limit set but I have seen others selling under £2.00 and I'd like to offer a couple of things I've just added for less, as I'm getting lots of views but no sales and I think that may be why.

I've emailed TES but no response. What am I missing?

Any advice/ ideas appreciated.

LB

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

New minimum price is £2 for all resources.
    Any resources priced lower would have been before TES changed the minimum price setting.

3. literarybimbo

Ah that's a shame, but thanks for info.

4. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I've stopped uploading resources because of this. Not sold anything at £2.

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

That's a shame @Skillsheets. I've only got one on at £2 but it has made sales.
    I do definitely think that authors should set their price where they want it, if that means £1 then they should be able to do so.

Skillsheets and Alice K like this.
  6. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I also would prefer to set my resource prices under £2 when necessary. I feel that I offer well presented and thorough resources but I am aware that teachers are also looking for value for money. This is completely understandable as teachers are more often than not buying resources from their own pocket.

xandrahuk likes this.
  7. literarybimbo

Yes- I agree. I feel my resources are worth £2 but I also know what I'd be willing to pay being a teacher- we can't fork out that much for resources and that's why setting under £2 is an important choice I feel we, as the authors, should be able to make.
    My only idea is 'bundling' similar resources so that value for money is there in part.

xandrahuk likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You shouldn't be paying if it is for school use.

9. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

The new rules are that nothing is priced under 2!

10. literarybimbo

What do you mean?

11. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I would imagine that most of our resources are being paid for by teachers themselves not schools. I find sales are better at the start of a month and tail off towards the end. This fits in with monthly salary payments.

Charleei likes this.
  12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

That's an interesting point - I wouldn't buy anything myself, but, playing devil's advocate, I suppose the school might argue that they're not gaining anything by you buying, rather than making, a resource; it's just saving you time.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

So perhaps rather than teaching a lesson you could pay someone else to do it for less and pocket the difference?

Schools get funded to pay for resources, teachers are paid to teach using these resources!

14. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

I sell on TES, but £2 as a minimum cannot be right. How can I justify selling a 2 - 4 page worksheet for that amount? It is such a pity that this amount has been set as the limit.

There are many of my products that I will now need to withdraw should TES not agree to lower the limit. Surely, if they are concerned about their profit margins they are killing off the market that would prefer to spend £1. The only solution is rightly pointed out as 'bundling' products ...

I shall take it up with TES even though it has been stated that they have not supplied an answer to your many queries.

TES should probably also look to *** for some ideas as this portal allows the seller to also respond to comments made about a product and also to offer a refund if necessary. On *** you are able to sell to the UK and USA market.

Re. the matter relating to 'buying from your own pocket' - that cannot be right as the schools should budget for a teacher who simply wants some fresh ideas to enhance a lesson to benefit the school's pupils.

15. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Come on TES - give us an answer to our legitimate dilemma - please? £2 is just too steep for some of the worksheets available. Surely £1 will not harm the profit margins to TES. If the contributor is happy taking his/her cut from £1 - ever thought that perhaps more would be sold?

jodiebaker-14 likes this.
  16. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Literarybimbo (love it!) - I too am in the same boat - I will also attempt to extract an answer from TES. I must say that with previous 'problems' they have been pretty good, especially when it came to a serial troll who took great delight in writing bad reviews for what was clearly good presentations and might I add - they were not mine receiving unfair reviews!

literarybimbo likes this.
  17. jodiebaker-14

jodiebaker-14 New commenter

I am really disappointed. I often set worksheets for 50p and planning for £1. I wanted to upload a play script I created for £1... some of the items are real time savers but I personally wouldn't purchase something for £2 unless I was desperate as your likely to find it elsewhere if you look longer for free or cheaper. Please revert back to the old pricing!

18. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Absolutely agree, however there are book-type worksheets that are certainly worth £2 and possibly a bit more. I have a 112 page workbook relating to algebra priced at £3 - published it some time ago and decided to rather place on TES. It did take a lot of work and especially also adding the answers for each section. But, the 50p and £1 option makes such sense ...