1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting parameters for learners

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by crusader62, May 14, 2019.

1. crusader62

crusader62 New commenter

I have found that learners have not got good research and independent learning skills. When I set tasks for them they are submitting minimalistic written contribution.
    This is possibly partly down to myself not getting the message across what I am expecting of them.
    Has anyone got any suggestions or constructive advice for setting parameters for independent learning and research tasks.

Dave

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Subject area? Topic area? Age of pupils? Resources available to them? Given this information we might be able to help.

3. crusader62

crusader62 New commenter

Subject engineering, 16 to 19, resource laptop and Internet.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I'd suggest that you include some research training in the assignments. Guide them to some useful resources (and indicate which ones won't help). Just using Google (other search engines are available) isn't necessarily an effective strategy.
    Also have a session on the difference between research and plagiarism - you will need some examples ready to examine.

crusader62 likes this.
  5. crusader62

crusader62 New commenter

Thank you for your advice Skeoch.