1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting out work in a clear mathematical style

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by complexno, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I would be iHi I would be interested to hear your thoughts on if we should encourage students to set out work in a clear mathematical style and award a few marks at the end of an exam for such an effort at GCSE and beyond. I know that the AEA Edexcel papers do this where
    7 marks are for style, clarity and presentation. Thanks.

Thanks f

2. Sorry, meant to add
    What would you give marks for if you agreed to such a scheme?

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

The small number of marks awarded for quality of written communication at GCSE are surely a step in the right direction? Basically these require students to present a clear and logical solution using correct and accurate mathematical notation and vocabulary.
    You can see AQA's description on page 22 of their GCSE specification.
    I'm sure we could all write a list - I think using the = sign properly would be pretty high up mine!
    (Classic Mistake number 3!)
    Some of the links on this page might be useful. I like the guide on Writing Mathematics by Loughborough University. The Open University includes a section on writing as part of its Mathematical Study Skills.
    ·

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

in assessing writing skills, we use a list that includes forming letter correctly.
    Perhaps in Maths the correct, consistent and clear formation of numbers and Mathematical operators should be assessed?