1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting out a CV for leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by KS23, Feb 13, 2016.

1. KS23

KS23 New commenter

Ok so I'm slowly but surely setting the wheels in motion to get myself out of teaching. I decided that I want to be out by summer 2017 at the latest. I'm going to try and dedicate this half term holiday to getting a basic CV done and I was hoping that there might be someone on here who could give me an example of a CV that would help me figure out how to set out my teaching career so it's more applicable to work outside of education. I know it's a long shot, but I thought it was worth a try.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You need to identify your skills that are transferable to other areas.

Transferable skills of teachers.

Transferable skills 2

Best wishes

3. teekay79

teekay79 New commenter

Hi, I've just come across your post from 2016 on leaving teaching. I'm currently in the same position. I'm struggling with the CV myself and could use some help. If you left, would it be possible to take a look at your CV?

thekillers1 likes this.
  4. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Ditto

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Ah, I thought the griff was back for a moment. In addition to focusing on transferable skills, remember that your potential employer is not a teaching insider. Don't list job titles / responsibilities which may mean nothing to them without saying what you achieved in those roles and / or giving the scale and scope of your responsibilities (if impressive). If unimpressive, leave them out.

BetterNow likes this.
  6. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

I bet you have but I'll type it anyway- online there can be advice and you tube clips- newspapers have run features on current phrasing. I wish the Unions would run courses on this.