1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting cover work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by WaddersD1, Sep 30, 2015.

1. WaddersD1

WaddersD1 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I am off work due to stress and anxiety and wondered if anyone out there knows if I should be setting cover work in my absence? I cannot face it at the moment but feel incredibly guilty and as though I am going to get into trouble if I don't. I currently hold a temporary TLR post and don;t know where I stand in terms of this.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

No is the simple answer. If you have supplied a doctor's certificate then that is evidence that a medical professional is of the opinion that you are not fit to work. Don't answer emails, don't answer the phone and if they try to contact you by any other means then contact your union. Most teachers put medium terms plans on a shared network - your line manager needs to print those off and leave them for the supply teacher.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

No you do not have to provide work. It would be a waste of time after a couple days sending in work. you would not know where the children were up to. There will be somebody in the school ,who is paid extra to sort these problems out and this is when they earn their pay !! Very often these days people who demand that work should be set ,do not do any teaching. !!!!
    Snowhead gives good advice. Please contact your Union,not the school rep,if the school demands work off you.

ilovesooty likes this.
  4. WaddersD1

WaddersD1 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I feel much better knowing that! Maybe I can stop stressing now about being off with stress!!

Thanks again!

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No. You're unfit to work.

I hope you feel better soon.

snowyhead likes this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you are off because you have the flu, if you were up to it cover work might be useful for 2 days at best. (and even then, you are ILL and should feel under no obligation to set any.)

But off with stress and anxiety! Setting cover work would be a bit like a liver disease patient drinking neat vodka! Heads of Department are paid to worry about this sort of thing and set suitable cover and I believe the school is actually obliged to put in place a decent medium term plan to manage your class(es) (P or S?) if your absence is beyond a certain length of time.

Sod the TLR! Many people far higher up the food chain go off sick long term and the school does not implode.

Concentrate on getting better first. Do NOT check e-mails and only speak to the school through your union etc.

7. chuk

chuk New commenter

Whilst off sick there is absolutely no requirement for you to set work of any kind.

snowyhead likes this.