1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting cover work for 4 weeks?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by misseviltoyou, May 4, 2012.

1. misseviltoyou

misseviltoyou New commenter

I've been off since just before Easter and have been setting cover work every week (apart from during the holiday, obviously). I've been signed off for another four weeks, and there's a possibility it may be longer. Do I still have to set cover work each week?

2. misseviltoyou

I've been off since just before Easter and have been setting cover work every week (apart from during the holiday, obviously). I've been signed off for another four weeks, and there's a possibility it may be longer. Do I still have to set cover work each week?

3. Absolutely not and you shouldn't have been doing it so far.

4. misseviltoyou

O_O really?
    Blimey, wish I'd known that a couple of weeks ago. I've not only been setting cover work for y7-11 but also been getting online to support Y13 student as school has wacky cover policy whereby no 6th form lessons are included. I had to ask another member of staff to moderate his coursework, and have no idea how his exam prep is going.

Is there an official guideline or union statement to this effect? If I'm going to stop sending in cover, I'd like to be, er, covered, just in case school kick up a stink.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You are covered by the fact that you medical certificate states - standing wording - that 'you should refrain from work for X amount of time'. While it is goodwill to perhaps set some cover on the first day or so of absence, if you are too sick to work, you are too sick to 'work' while off sick by setting cover. A teacher off sick cannot be directed, or forced to set cover in any instance, but certainly should not be doing so weeks into medically certified sick leave.

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Yes: you have a bit of paper from your doctor saying you are not fit to work. It doesn't say "not ft to go into work but quite capable of working from home".
    Many people set cover if they feel up to it, for a short absence - if only because it makes it easier to pick up the pieces when they return. But after 4 weeks you cannot know how the students are getting on, so the school should have a supply teacher working from the schemes of work. Having supplied them with work at the start of the absence, they clearly know what has already been covered.
    If you're feeling up to supporting the sixth-former online and are willing to do that out of the generosity of your heart, then fair enough, but if you're not then it is the school's responsibility to provide him with appropriate teaching. If you are supporting him online, make sure that the school is aware and that everything is recorded, to protect yourself.
    And no, you don't have to do reports either, before they ask. You might need to supply your records, so somebody else can write something appropriate.

7. misseviltoyou

Wow, thank you for the info and support - I guess it says a lot about where I work that nobody there told me I didn't need to do this and also assumed I would be supporting Y13 (been using school email and remote access, all checkable by techs and exportable, my behind is covered).
    I guess from the tone of the communications I've received from SLT that they didn't expect me to be away this long and regarding "picking up the pieces" I need to do that for myself before I even *think* about doing it at work.
    Thanks everyone!
    RelievedMiss

8. Provision of cover work could even be deemed "fit for work". How on earth are you expected to monitor pupil progress in absentia? Absolutely not! It's purely line manager responsibility

9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

They should have a supply teacher, but visit the supply forum and you will find out its more likely they haven't.
    Instead the school will be trying to save money and use a Cover Supervisor who isn't trained or paid to plan lessons.