1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

setting cover when signed off sick.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by 1960kate, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Following an operation , I have been signed off for 4 weeks. Before I went into hospital I set a week's worth of lessons. I am now being told that I have to provide work for the rest of the time that I will be away. Can my school resonably ask me to do this or are they in breach of teachers' terms and conditions?

2. Following an operation , I have been signed off for 4 weeks. Before I went into hospital I set a week's worth of lessons. I am now being told that I have to provide work for the rest of the time that I will be away. Can my school resonably ask me to do this or are they in breach of teachers' terms and conditions?

3. No, they definitely cannot do this. If you are signed off sick then you are not obliged to set cover. Whether you do so as a matter of goodwill is up to you. I had my union involved about this when I was asked to set work during a three week sickness absence. I did it for the first week, but then they started complaining in week 2 that it wasn't detailed enough and that they wanted A4 worksheets writing that could just be printed off. Once the union got involved, they left me alone completely.

4. That's interesting as I have been signed off sick, have had to set cover and ring in every single day!