1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Setting and Managing Up A VLE and Overtime.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Man_In_Black, Mar 8, 2011.

1. <font size="2">My question is would it be unreasonable to request, before agreeing to anything, that some form of remuneration (an overtime payment or time in lieu) be agreed upon with the school for the expected increased / additional work load that would be required to set up and manage a VLE. </font>

<font size="2">Teachers do a great deal of work which many people in Industry would considerer as 'overtime'. We know that, but it doesn&rsquo;t make it right.</font>

2. <font size="2">My question is would it be unreasonable to request, before agreeing to anything, that some form of remuneration (an overtime payment or time in lieu) be agreed upon with the school for the expected increased / additional work load that would be required to set up and manage a VLE. </font>

<font size="2">Teachers do a great deal of work which many people in Industry would considerer as 'overtime'. We know that, but it doesn&rsquo;t make it right.</font>

3. Placing resources on - yes, part of your job. Administrative duties including updating core files, adding in users, creating the structures, styling etc - definitely not.
    Push for "Head of E-Learning" at your school either as an Honararium or actual TLR (as a learning responsibility). I'd expect around &pound;1,000-&pound;2,500 depending on your vision, what you're going to do and your action plan!

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Setting up a VLE from scratch is a big job, keeping it ticking over, training staff, etc, is an even bigger job so yes, i would expect some form of recognition for it. It affects the learning of other students outside your class so it's fair game for a TLR as others have said.
    That said, you know the school better than any of us - are you trying to build up your CV? If so, it would be useful to have done (I'm a HoD and I'm currently doing anything and everything for the whole school agenda so that I can build up my CV for a future move to Assistant Head). Would the school react kindly to a request for additional money? Is there anybody on the senior team that is already responsible for whole school IT?

5. <font size="2">You seem to be missing the point here. If the VLE Company can charge &pound;1000+ for 2 days Inset to a small number of staff then I don't feel too bad asking for some recognition for the on going support required.</font><font size="2">It's not in my job description but I'm quite happy to renegotiate my contract before the additional hours kick in or have the school pay a contractor to come in and manage everything. But then I'd 'expect' they would charge for that.</font>

6. Do you have experience setting up and running a VLE? Setting one up and getting going is easy. Customising it takes a bit of time. The real pain comes from constantly having to find the time to update and tinker with it. Then kiss goodbye to a load more time training sceptical staff, retraining them, re retraining them, training new staff, getting pupils used to it, dealing with staff questions, adding new material, taking new photos etc etc.
    I would do it again, for &pound;4K plus 4 free periods a week just for VLE stuff, on top of any other allowances. If the school thinks it can be done effectively cheaper, then let them get on with it.

7. Remember also that after tax, you'll get sod all anyway.

8. True DEmsley.

9. Moodlemad, while I agree Moodle is by far the best option for someone with great technical expertise and doesn't mind working over their agreed hours constantly - the support forums are poor by any stretch for any sort of technical query. Yes the "how do I import x from y" will get answered but many get unanswered, search and sort on there is poor and while I applaud the volunteers who answer questions tirelessly on there, there just isn't enough!
    Why they don't have their support community forums on vBulletin / IPB or phpBB is beyond me, it would make it a thousand times better...

10. I agree IPBs are useful and indeed me and the techies do use them for other support.
    Some of the moodle moderators are really really helpful imo. Mary Cooch who wrote a moodle book often gets back in touch within an hour or two of posting a query. There are also quite a few moodle training companies around who charge very reasonable rates for on site training.
    I honestly get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing something working from nothing. If the OP has a good techie suporting them who understands the back room stuff the payback from moodle is great. If not buy one in but they can get tied into expensive agreements.
    peace

Paul

11. Focus guys Focus.
    Read the original post.
    Go take your love fest else where.