1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Set up as independent supply teacher / supplement jobs / change job completely?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovehendrix, Jan 20, 2020.

1. lovehendrix

lovehendrix New commenter

Hi all,
    Feeling rather negative recently about supply, mainly the lack of wage outside of term time and having to deal with behavioural issues so often. Wondering if I should possibly set up as an independent supply teacher. Have any of you done this? If so, how did you go about it? When you spoke to your agency about it, were they annoyed?
    For others doing supply, may I ask: how do you supplement your income outside of term time?
    If you've left supply - what job did you go into? Can you make any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I'm considering getting a forklift license. I live in warehouseville so I'm thinking that might earn me a couple of pound an hour more than the grunts when supply goes quiet.

lovehendrix likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would forget trying to set up your own agency.

agathamorse and lovehendrix like this.
  4. cupcake108

cupcake108 New commenter

I would ask this question on a supply teacher FB page. I know someone who has done just this.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Perhaps so - but you are competing with some pretty big organizations and there are many pitfalls.

agathamorse likes this.