1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Set texts overhaul

Discussion in 'English' started by anon9092, Oct 14, 2016.

1. anon9092

anon9092 New commenter

Dear all,

I am looking at rehauling our set texts as most are covered by Primaries now. I was thinking Wonder for Y7 but I know one of our main feeder schools is doing it.

I am looking for any ideas you have about Y7 and Y8? We are looking for challenging texts that are modern.

We currently do Northern Lights Y8 but it is quite big! I am set on A Monster Calls being introduced to Y8 though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

We have used Wonder for a while but now the primaries have taken it up we moved to 'The Wolf Wilder', 'Fuzzy Mud' and 'Time Travelling with a Hamster' for Y7. All have been very popular with both teachers and pupils. In Y8 we do 'After Tomorrow' and 'I am Malala' and In Y9 a choice of 'The door that led to Where', 'Maggot Moon' and 'The Lie Tree'. We refreshed our stock last and it has made a big difference to teacher enjoyment.

3. anon9092

anon9092 New commenter

Wow, that's for these - Maggot Moon is something I want to look into and I am Malala will be an excellent choice! Thank you

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Refugee Boy by Benjamin Zephaniah?