1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Set books for public exams

Discussion in 'Classics' started by lemoni122, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Have we ever had a situation before where some daft examiner has set a book for which an edition with commentary - at least in English- doesn't seem to exist? IMO this has happened with the AS set books for 2012. OK so we'll have a commentary on Amores 3 published on July 21st.. and thank goodness, but I can't find anything on in Verrem 2nd actio, book 1. Or am I missing something?

2. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Have we ever had a situation before where some daft examiner has set a book for which an edition with commentary - at least in English- doesn't seem to exist? IMO this has happened with the AS set books for 2012. OK so we'll have a commentary on Amores 3 published on July 21st.. and thank goodness, but I can't find anything on in Verrem 2nd actio, book 1. Or am I missing something?

3. I have been treading this route for the last week or so, and it is a shambles. OCR recommend a book by Aris and Phillips available from Hellenic Book Service, 020 7267 9499. I think I have managed to grab a download from www.uah.edu/student_life/organisations/SAL/texts/latin/classical/cicero/inverrems, there is both Latin and the English there, it's The Society for Ancient Languages.
    OCR also say they will have a free download available from the specification page, no date given though.
    Having got my son through 6 A levels to date and now embarking on French, German and Latin, along with Early Modern History, this is one lot of stress I can do without.
    anyway, hope this helps you.
    Regards

4. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Thanks. I've now obtained the Aris and Philips version from Amazon: £43 because out of print! (Can we still claim tax allowance against books purchased for sixth form teaching?)
    My students can't afford that sort of price. I'll have to produce my own trans + notes for them over the hols.
    Will have to have the Amores new edition sent to my holiday address as will be gone abroad on publication date. This too is really last minute.
    How old is your son, home-ed? 6+ A Levels is impressive. Has he managed to get A's every time?

5. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

re the in Verrem: The Aris and Philips edition isn't suitable for this level; there's far too little explanation, though the translation's excellent. However OCR have now, at last, put very good support materials on their website; just look on the AS Latin subject page and under support materials. There's a student version and a teacher version. I've only been reading the latter for the moment. One criticism I have is that the Latin text is old-fashioned; for example, capital letters used for starts of sentences and versions of pronouns and 3rd declension nouns with which our students will be unfamiliar at this stage.
    But in my earlier despair, when this stuff wasn't around, I started to make my own materials which explain much more about the construction of the Latin and put the history more simply, and include an interlinear translation (my improved version of the 19th century one I found on Perseus). I'm half way through and would be happy to share it when ready. Just send me a p.m.
    Also do you know about Terry Bird? He has produced fantastic running vocabs for the Greek and Latin set books which make the students' experience much more positive. I think if you google his name you will find his website.(Though these have to paid for.)
    I have similar stuff (ie my own materials - interlinear trans etc for GCSE and A2 (whose set books remain the same this year) which I'm happy to share.
    Have you joined the OCR Classics e-community? There's a lot of useful stuff there too.