1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sessional lecturing - help

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by mairruth, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I have been a sessional lecturer for 6 years in an FE college. This year i think my luck has run out. The new year started yesterday and not a word from my cirriculum leader , in fact the whole management team are ignoring all e mails , phone massages from all part time staff. They could at least send us all 'Dear John ' letters !. However my question is ,if i and my collegues , are not offered work do we have any redundancy rights ? . or is it just hard luck

2. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

This is the law......
    If fixed-term employees have their contracts renewed or if they are re-engaged on a new fixed-term contract after four or more years of continuous employment, (ie under one contract lasting in excess of four years or under a contract which, taken with an immediately previous fixed-term contract, amounts to four years or longer in length) the renewal or new contract becomes permanent.
    Continuous employment usually means employment without a break, although breaks for strike action and time spent out of work appealing against unfair dismissal (if the employee is subsequently reinstated) are not counted.
    The only exceptions are when employment on a fixed-term contract can be objectively justified, or if the period of four years has been lengthened under a collective or workplace agreement.

It look like you should have been offered a permanent position last year? However, UCU do not appear to see this as a priority. There are many colleges that are getting away with ignoring their reponsibilities to their staff on fixed-term contracts.

3. Thanks the reply , it was very helpful[​IMG]