1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Service history query?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by fes9, May 2, 2019.

1. fes9

fes9 New commenter

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on how to solve this please (I am planning retirement so want to make sure service is correct)
    I notice on my benefit statement that way back in 2004 I changed schools at Easter and it was from one LEA to another (Essex to Southend on Sea) and the dates seem to show a gap? It should be continuous service shouldn't it? It says I left Essex on 31.3.2004 and started Southend on Sea 19.4.2004. Surely that gap is just the Easter holiday and they were both LEA schools but different authorities, so it should be continuous service shouldn't it? It looks like I'm short changed on a couple of weeks?
    I suspect I will have to write the both authorities to clear it up!

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Only your employer can clear it up and you will probably need to have copies of your contracts from these and/or payslips. The burgundy book specifies the end of term as 30 April so I suspect you may have to deal mainly with the first employer...however as you started your 2nd job before that date you may have a problem, for instance if you put an earlier resignation date in your letter (i.e. 31st March) then they may have accepted that and 'allowed' you to go early!

Your second employer would be under no obligation to pay you for the period 31st March - 18th April...unless you have contracts that state otherwise.

fes9 likes this.
  3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

19 days though would make 19/(365 * 80) times your salary difference to your annual pension.
    Or for every £10,000 that your salary is it would be about £6.51

fes9 likes this.
  4. fes9

fes9 New commenter

thanks, I think it was my fault and I bet it was because schools in different LEAs had different Easter Holidays!
    I contacted Essex today and they were not very helpful!

5. fes9

fes9 New commenter

I doubt I was aware at the time and the school did not make me aware of the fact!
    I think I will just have to put that down as a loss

6. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

7. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

I had spotted a similar issue in 2011 from a change in service in 1991 - I got in touch with the LEA (Tameside) and it was corrected on my statement - it did take about a year to show the correct dates and the LEA never responded to my letter/evidence. I did have payslips that I sent to prove the correct dates which probably helped.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If, as you did, you move from one LA school to another (in the same LA or a different LA) your resignation date is not April 30th. It is the day immediately before the first day of term in the new school. Relevant bit of Burgundy Book below. Even if you did mistakenly put down an earlier resignation date in your resignation letter they should not have accepted it as you had no contractual right to resign earlier.

So if 19th April was first day of term in new school Essex should have paid you up to and including 18th April. So it is Essex who need to sort this out, the new school appears to input the correct date.

2.1 All teachers resigning their appointments will be paid salary;
    at the end of the Spring term to April 30; or, in the case of a teacher resigning to take up an appointment with another employer, to the day preceding the day on which the school under the new employer opens for the Summer term if this be earlier than May 1. ...

1.2 Teachers taking up work on first appointment, or on re-appointment, or on transfer from another employer … at the commencement of a school term will be paid salary:
    after the Easter vacation from May 1; or from the first school day of the Summer term if this be earlier than May 1;

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    fes9 likes this.
  9. fes9

fes9 New commenter

In that case I shall try and get it corrected, thanks!