1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Service Children in secondary schools

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rburnip, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I'm a PGCE student and I really want to write a masters level assignment on issues for service children in secondary schooland techniques to help them, however I am having problems finding any literature or reports. Does anyone know of anything? Thanks

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

what is a service child?

3. I assume you mean children who have one ore more parent in the armed forces. Doubt there's been much research into this. I'm not even sure whether records are kept of stats of how many children in different schools fall into this category. Boarding schools would have more than day schools though.

Overall, I rather odd premise for an assignment I think, unless I've misunderstood.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It was certainly on the January "form 7" at one stage, so some data is/has been collected.
    (I suspect this may have been partly trying to sort out funding for
    schools near barracks - with at least one parent in employment, the
    service children don't qualify for free school meals, but may well have higher than average need for support, especially if they've been moved around a lot.)
    You could try "Service Children's Education" (www.sceschools.com) - if anyone knows what research there is, they ought to.

5. Service children now attract a pupil premium of £250 so there are obviously issues. Ofsted has also just published a major report on Service Children's Education. You would be able to get more info from AFF (Army families federation) and also on the MOD website. The MOD also have a £3m fund giving grants to innovative projects mitigating the effects of service affecting school communities (sudden transfers, lack of continuity, fluctuating rolls, transfer between exam boards etc) There may be case studies of such initiatives.

6. Thanks for your help everyone. I've sent off a load of emails and I'm just waiting for some replies now. The ofsted report is really interesting and I'm hoping to get some primary research done too. If anyone else is interested in this, I've also had a look at the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Children's Fund and The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA).

7. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

If you want to get in touch with teachers in service schools for your primary research you could try contacting SCE - Service Childrens Education. It used to be the equivalent of an LEA for the service schools although it may go by a different name now.
    I would concentrate on the Army though as the Navy especially tend to buy their own houses and stay in them hence children's schooling has more continuity. The Army families move round far more often.
    If you want to contact Army families for primary research I could probably help you, send me a PM